Should I create a SharePoint site?

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I need some advice on whether my organisation should create a SharePoint online site (Intranet). We used Google email as our main work, but also did subscribed to M365 for MS Office to limit number of employees. 

I am considering between Google Site and SharePoint Online. What benefits will it bring? Are there any cons? Because about 30 of us has not enrolled to MS365 as they do not need one, but if we use SharePoint, I know they can be added to AD without license to access SharePoint. 

Thank you!

4 Replies

@jansonav I definitely suggest you use SharePoint. Not only is it better as an intranet platform and for collaboration but you can have a main hub site and associated sites for each department or region and publish news up, down and across, but it opens up the other Office 365 apps that work so well with SharePoint: Power Apps, Power Automate, Lists, Stream etc

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint, Website and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

Be careful with the idea of adding corporate users to AD and then grant access to SharePoint, corporate users should have a SPO license assigned
Thank you Rob and Juan Carlos!

I have another question: If I want my org to use their same google login account to access SharePoint without creating a MS account for them, how should I go about it? Is there a workable guide?

@jansonav your users will need a Microsoft licence, e.g. E3, and an account. There are instructions for how to do single sign-on using the Google Apps credentials here but you can't get round needing the Microsoft licences and accounts.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint, Website and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)