Shortcuts in SharePoint

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to make a file that acts as a shortcut to another file in a SharePoint document library on both the web version and the file explorer.

I have tried the following:

LNK Files

I can create a Windows shortcut (LNK file) in the synced folder (in my file explorer), but it does not work for the web version nor other people’s computers (the path is different).

URL Files

I have tried to make a URL file (**New** > **Link**). It works in the web version, but not quite well in the file explorer. For example, when I click on a link to a Word document in the file explorer, the file opens in the web version of Word (on SharePoint) instead of the local program.

ASPX "Link to a Document"

I have tried the “Link to a Document” content type (https://www.spguides.com/link-to-a-document-sharepoint-document-library/), but it only works in the web version.

Solution

Is there a solution that will work for both the web version and the file explorer?

10 Replies
I can't duplicate this... From file explorer: If I right click and select shortcut (.url) - it works there. If I create it in a place that is syncing with OneDrive, it also works when I open it in OneDrive. I tested a link to google and also to the default view on a SharePoint document library. When I test with a link to a specific view, it tried to download instead of opening. I tested with Edge and Chrome. I also tested creating a shortcut on my desktop right click and select shortcut), then uploading it to OneDrive- no problem.

@PamDeGraffenreid
This is my situation:

I have a synced/shared folder with the path

C:/Users/myuser/Example Tenant/Example Site - Documents

In that folder, I have a file with the path

C:/Users/myuser/Example Tenant/Example Site - Documents/Target File.docx

I do the following:

1. Right-click the file

2. Select "Create shortcut"

3. Rename the shortcut to "Shortcut to Target File"

The path of the shortcut-file is now

C:/Users/myuser/Example Tenant/Example Site - Documents/Shortcut to Target File.lnk

This shortcut points to

Another user is syncing the same site to their computer.

In their file explorer, they see a shortcut-file

C:/Users/otheruser/Example Tenant/Example Site - Documents/Shortcut to Target File.lnk

They right click the shortcut file to inspect it's properties.

The shortcut points to

When the other user double-clicks that shortcut, nothing happens.

This is because they do not have a file with the path

However, the other user does have a file with the path

C:/Users/otheruser/Example Tenant/Example Site - Documents/Target File.docx

Does this make sense?

@a531 I see. Two options:

• From the browser, select the document, and select 'Copy Link' from the ribbon. Then use the copied URL to create s shortcut.
  • From your local sync folder,  right click on a file, and select Share to generate a link that you can use to create a shortcut.

Those links should work for anyone that has access because it will point directly to the document in the browser.   

@a531, I have the same problem - either a solution that works for me only in File Explorer or a version that works for everyone in the Web Browser!!!

I can't seem to create a shortcut in File Explorer that stays in File Explorer and doesn't go off into the Web Browser each time, for those users with the folder synced on their local drive.

@grgdvs 

I tried replacing c:/users/myuser with %HOMEPATH% which seems to do the trick.... 

@W5mW8n 

I think that is the best option for now, although the site needs to be synced to the same path following that homepath variable. Sometimes, users will sync a single folder from a site.

@a531 @W5mW8n thanks both, I'll give that a go. 

thank you, the %HOMEPATH% worked for me and allowing others to use the shortcuts is fantastic.

I am trying to accomplish the same thing and Windows is throwing errors at me saying that "C:\Users\%HOMEPATH%\etc\etc..." is not a valid path. Would you mind showing me how the file path is supposed to look with the variable in place?

@jadams850 

change "C:\Users\%HOMEPATH%\etc\etc..."

to "%HOMEPATH%\etc\etc..."

but for some reason i cannot get my shortcuts to work for everyone. initially one person used it but then it stopped and when i looked at it the shortcut was changed back to the address without %homepath%.  I wonder if it had to do with Win10 users trying to use it.