SOLVED

Sharing Sharepoint list items and item level permission

Copper Contributor

Hey there,

I decided to have a go at using PowerApps to put one of the forms my school uses online. Right at the start I thought i'd customise a Sharepoint list's form rather than build entirely in PowerApps....this has turned out to be a mistake.

So i'm now at the final step and that's list permissions. Due to the nature of the info on the forms i've been asked by management to make it so people can only see forms they've created - that one was fine once I discovered item level permissions.

However, they then said they need staff to be able to share the items, as sometimes multiple staff will be involved and need to add info to the form. This has me stumped.

I can't work out to way to have them only able to see their own list  items and items shared with them. I looked into the dynamic variables bit for list views but the only 2 that seem to exist are [Me] and [Today] ...though as I type this I wonder what [Me] actually returns, could I have a text field that people type names in to and then use condition of does that field contain [Me]? Would that work?

If anyone has any other ideas it'd b appreciated :)

Cheers :)

So I

2 Replies
best response confirmed by George Sharp (Copper Contributor)
Solution
SharePoint permisisons are a pain when it comes to making apps and limiting permissions. This is why when they made sql connectors premium tier it made a bunch of people upset cause we used to be able to create apps and use PowerApps to handle the security since the app had admin rights to the data, but you could manage who could do what in the app.

With SharePoint it's all based on the logged in user so it becomes difficult. I've gotten around a similar scenario here but it requires a bunch of permission modifications via Power Automate flows. So essentially you need to setup a list for collecting the form data where everyone has access too. Then move that data to another library no one has access too, then use the grant access sharepoint action to add the creator and any other users / supervisors to access the item. This way only those people and anyone with full access permissions can see the items.

That's basically the only work around. You could use one list, and use flows, but I don't think edit is enough when utilizing item level permission setting, you have to use HTTP rest calls to somehow grant full control access to the individual item to the "other" people. It's possible just harder IMO.
Hey there,
Sorry for the slow reply - thank you for that though, makes me happy that I haven't missed anything obvious, makes me sad that it's gonna be a royal pain to get anything working. I've had a think and i'm having a go at fiddling around with a second table, then having the flow do a lookup to find that person and update a field with what I hope from googling is what [Me] actually becomes so I can do matches that way. If that fails I will need to do as you say and use the Grant Access action but that currently confuses me :D

This has only got to drag me through long enough to reimplement the whole ting in Powerapps Dataverse anyway where i'm hoping things may be a bit easier, but we'll see.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by George Sharp (Copper Contributor)
Solution
SharePoint permisisons are a pain when it comes to making apps and limiting permissions. This is why when they made sql connectors premium tier it made a bunch of people upset cause we used to be able to create apps and use PowerApps to handle the security since the app had admin rights to the data, but you could manage who could do what in the app.

With SharePoint it's all based on the logged in user so it becomes difficult. I've gotten around a similar scenario here but it requires a bunch of permission modifications via Power Automate flows. So essentially you need to setup a list for collecting the form data where everyone has access too. Then move that data to another library no one has access too, then use the grant access sharepoint action to add the creator and any other users / supervisors to access the item. This way only those people and anyone with full access permissions can see the items.

That's basically the only work around. You could use one list, and use flows, but I don't think edit is enough when utilizing item level permission setting, you have to use HTTP rest calls to somehow grant full control access to the individual item to the "other" people. It's possible just harder IMO.

View solution in original post