SharePoint Word document "This record is unlocked for edit. Please lock it first before..."

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I've run accross an error message when trying to remove a retention label, that I haven't seen before, nor does it google.  Anyone see this before?

"This record is unlocked for edit. Please lock it first before applying any label." I'm suspecting it's not in SP but rather in Word but I can't find a solution.

unlocked for edit.PNG

4 Replies

Almost 40 views and no clues. What does that idiotic warning even mean? 

Things I have tried:

• Removing the Retnetion Label results in "This record is unlocked for edit. Please lock it first before applying any label."
  • Enabling and disabling requiring check out, checking out then back in does nothing
  • Moving the document to a different folder, no can do, the label is preventing it
  • Opening the document in Word and making sure there are no settings in there causing the issue

@Denis Moquin 

It's inconceivable that this specific message can't be found on the web anywhere. How is it possible that SharePoint has this absolutely inane warning and absolutely no documentation on it.

MS, throw me a bone here...

Hi @Denis Moquin 

VasanthMurugan_0-1612789986456.png

Before changing the retention label, change the "Record Status" to Locked and try. This is the compliance MS has provided for editing the content of the document which is under retention

I didn't find a Record Status option. what I did find was I could reapply a label to an unlocked file by choosing More > Compliance Details > Selected the 'none' link for the Label Status. applied a Record label there on the new tab it opened. Saved with correct Label, document is relocked.