SharePoint Visual Design Templates for UI Designers?

Copper Contributor

Cannot find anything on any of microsoft's online properties that addresses basic UI frameworking / visualisation of any kind for this product?

Are there no resources provisioned at all for people to work up basic layouts before going to build?

Sketch, Figma, Adobe?

We cannot even find static 1:1 examples, let alone layered assets.

5 Replies

@simonlovejoy 

I don't think it works that way, at least not out of the box. You may want to look at site designs. That provides a way to create templates for an entire site, including lists, libraries and UI elements like themes. Keep in mind SharePoint is not a "website" like Amazon or Best Buy or whatever so if that's what you're used to working with, this will be a bit of a change.  

@Norman Young

It is interesting, but not what I as an oldey-timey visual designer could say that I would consider to be a brand bible. There are no hard rules outlined in fire here as the focus is firmly on how it behaves and the fact that it reduces development time on the back end (possibly the front end as well, i don't know as I am not involved in our dev).

I have deployed some basic sharepoint sites internally to get a feel for how they behave and to try and identify simple behaviours such as breakpoints, default colourways, typeface sizes and so on. Find it a bit confused myself but then that is possibly just me. I still maintain it would be useful for this company to lay down some hard, and if necessary fast, rules around the visual identity of their product. Everybody would win.

@Rachel Davis 

I agree. The methodology around this product seems to suggest more of a framework that ms are pushing as very, very flexible and versatile with a focus on the back end and a simplified front end.

I would perhaps imagine that defining basic rules for visual design for this might rely on developing a familiarity with the content and how it deploys in a most basic state.

@simonlovejoy  I know this convo is a bit old now but for anyone stumbling onto it, i found this which looks like a great resource for Figma users including grids, layouts, iconography. 

https://aka.ms/SharePointToolkits/Web/Figma

Does anyone know if there is a similar resource that lays out the different elements that can be included in Sharepoint? or is it only possible through editing the Sharepoint backend itself?