SOLVED

SharePoint Versioning - Timing

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I did some research on how versioning works during co-authoring and found the following from this link 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-does-versioning-work-in-a-sharepoint-list-or-library-...

When versioning is enabled, versions are created in the following situations:

During co-authoring of a document, when a different user begins working on the document or when a user clicks save to upload changes to the library. 

However, I found that's not necessary the case from our testing which the results show that only one version was created while two users were co-authoring on the same document on a browser (which autosaves the document). I was just wondering whether anyone of you have any information in regards to how often does a version get created when two or more users are co-authoring on the same document. Does it create a new version when it detects the document was last edited by an user during co-authoring or it indeed does what the official MS site claims above.

Thank you for your help in advance.

1 Reply
best response confirmed by MSNewbie (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@MSNewbie 

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I'm guessing that what may happen is a combination of the following two scenarios (from the link you posted);

Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 08.32.14.png

So if the first user is in the document already, then possibly the first principle has applied in that not all edits and saves create a version.  Then when the second user enters the doc a bit later, this will create the single version instance that you are seeing.

Only a theory, but I have found that versioning is not always an exact science.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MSNewbie (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@MSNewbie 

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I'm guessing that what may happen is a combination of the following two scenarios (from the link you posted);

Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 08.32.14.png

So if the first user is in the document already, then possibly the first principle has applied in that not all edits and saves create a version.  Then when the second user enters the doc a bit later, this will create the single version instance that you are seeing.

Only a theory, but I have found that versioning is not always an exact science.

View solution in original post