SharePoint, Teams, Yammer, O365 Groups - how do you identify or manage traditional SharePoint sites

Brass Contributor

I am a SharePoint Admin in O365 (not a global tenant admin).  We have a governance process in place that requires a request process, once approved my team creates the SharePoint site.  No governance process for Teams or Yammer, or O365 Groups creation.  

Sounds simple enough so far, right?  Well, Teams is taking off like wildfire, which creates a SharePoint site as part of the Teams creation process, likewise with Yammer Groups now, they create a SharePoint site.  When we access the SharePoint admin center and look at active sites, we see thousands of sites listed. 

How are you tracking the different types of sites, Traditional SharePoint vs a SharePoint site created by Teams, Yammer, or O365 Group? 

How do you show adoption, trends, etc related to SharePoint only, Teams Only, yammer only, etc.?

I would like to provide some basic metrics and trends about growth and storage, etc.  Since my focus is on SharePoint specifically, how to I filter out the sites created by other services in O365?

It also can be a challenge when we have support calls about problems a "SharePoint" site, and when we try to access the site, we get an access denied - which indicates it is either Teams, Yammer or O365 group created site (since we are not admins for those services).

any suggestions or advice?

6 Replies
I would recommend using SharePoint PnP PowerShell or SharePoint Online Management Shell and checking the Site Template, either it’s STS#0 (Classic Teamsite), STS#3 (Modern Teamsite), Group#0 (O365 Group) and Sitepagepublishing#0 (Communication Site)

@Marvin Bangert - Thanks for the reply!   Does the SharePoint Site created by a new Microsoft Teams, use a different template or the same one as a typical Modern Teams template site created through the SharePoint admin or using PowerShell?

@DuaneAlleman Microsoft Teams also uses a Group#0 template, because Microsoft Teams is always an Office 365 Group in the background. To identify if it is an Office 365 Group or a Microsoft Team, you need to use the "Microsoft Teams PowerShell" cmdlet "Get-Team". Then you will just see the Teams and no Office 365 Groups.

Hi @Duane Alleman 

Not sure if it would be any use to you, but I know Microsoft have an Office 365 Adoption Content Pack that can be used with PowerBI to build some dashboards that may give you some of the information you need.

See the doco- Microsoft 365 Analytics 

Thanks @Jenny Bruce.  I am looking at the Microsoft 365 Usage Analytics pack, but find it difficult to separate SharePoint sites created via our governance process (a request form) and approved by the requests manager vs sites that were created via Teams, OneDrive, O365 O365 Groups. 

There is an option to select Select type (Any, Group, Other, Team) on the PowerBi SharePoint usage tab,  but I am not sure what those types include.  

Is there some documentation that explain what the elements are on the dashboard?

Hi @Duane Alleman 

Unfortunately I haven't come across any other documentation either.  I also think the adoption pack is really only useful if your analytics needs are fairly simple. 

Sounds like you need a more sophisticated analytics tool.  I'm not sure that Microsoft have such a product.

I am myself currently looking at third party options, but these come at a price.