SOLVED

SharePoint site which developed using SharePoint Designer can it be use in SharePoint online ?

Copper Contributor

If I have existing SharePoint site which developed using SharePoint Designer can it be use for SharePoint Online ? and how i can find any reference

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Alice47 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Alice47 

Can you add a little more context to this question please?  What are you looking to migrate?  Customisations, workflows, masterpages and so on?  Different types of SPD customisations might be portable.

SharePoint Designer as a product can be used with SharePoint Online sites as well as those on premises if they're both in Classic. Some elements of Modern SharePoint I suspect (the underlying lists and libraries) might be backwards compatible.  

If you're using SharePoint Classic, you might be able to take an STP of the site and utilise it as a sub-site within an SPO site, which would still need modifications.

@Steven Andrews
Thank you for information that help me alot about this problem
I just want to know is it posible to migrate Customisations, workflows, masterpages and How to do it

@Alice47 in modern SharePoint Online you don't have masterpages. And workflows won't migrate, they'll need to be re-built with Power Automate. And I don't believe customisations will migrate either as Microsoft have been very clear that with the exeption of the SPFx framework additions they don't want sites to be customised.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint, Website and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Alice47 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Alice47 

Can you add a little more context to this question please?  What are you looking to migrate?  Customisations, workflows, masterpages and so on?  Different types of SPD customisations might be portable.

SharePoint Designer as a product can be used with SharePoint Online sites as well as those on premises if they're both in Classic. Some elements of Modern SharePoint I suspect (the underlying lists and libraries) might be backwards compatible.  

If you're using SharePoint Classic, you might be able to take an STP of the site and utilise it as a sub-site within an SPO site, which would still need modifications.

View solution in original post