SharePoint share files with group members only

Copper Contributor

Hi, 

The company I work for has recently started using SharePoint an Ms Teams, the main use case was to share document with external users, it is all working until here but now we would like to restrict the sharing to only share with group members/site members so we can stop data leaks. Has anyone done anything similar?

thanks!

4 Replies

@cristinapalomino I think you can only restrict it to "Only people in your organization". Try this:

1. Create a Private team site
  2. Set external sharing option to "Only people in your organization"
  3. Change the default sharing link type to "People with existing access" 

Documentations:

1. Change the sharing settings for a site 
  2. Manage sharing settings 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap thank you for your quick response

The thing is that some group members are guests users so I can't change the external sharing.

There is a SharePoint site setting to restrict the sharing file/folders for owners only, do you know how this can be done globally for the tenant?

The option I'm talking about is SharePoint site > Site Permissions > Site Sharing > Change how members can share

-Site owners an members can share files...

- Site owners and members, and people with Edit permissions an share files....

- Only site owners can share files...

Unfortunately in SPO there is not an option of having a mixture of guest users and corporate users so you can configure a Site in a way it cannot be shared externally. The only feature I know in Microsoft 365 that it's similar to what your mention is Shared Channels in Microsoft Teams that is powered by Azure AD B2C

@Juan Carlos González Martín thank you

Is there a way of restricting sharing files/folders and site to owners at tenant level?

It would the below but for all sites within that tenant

The option I'm talking about is SharePoint site > Site Permissions > Site Sharing > Change how members can share

-Site owners an members can share files...

- Site owners and members, and people with Edit permissions an share files....

- Only site owners can share files...