SharePoint Server 2016 - FP1 AppLauncher doesn't work, why isn't there more discussion about this?

Copper Contributor

In SharePoint Server 2016, Feature Pack 1 brought us a customizable AppLauncher through the use of the Site Feature "CustomTiles".

However, this feature doesn't seem to work and I'm not seeing anything in the logs to indicate the problem. Let me explain.

I've activated the feature in Central Admin, created tiles, enabled the feature on our primary web application and pointed it to the Central Admin tile library, however, end users are not able to see the custom tiles that are added unless they're in the Farm Administrators group. It is not clear to me why a user would need to be a Farm Admin to see tiles.

Additionally, our environment is configured for hybrid, so, when you create custom app tiles in Office 365, they should propagate down to our on-prem sites. For me and my boss it does, however, for the test account we use internally it does not. It can log into SharePoint Online so it has entitlement / licensure for that so I'm not sure why that also is.

Clearly there is something un-documented about the CustomTiles feature. Someone on reddit said it's supposed to bypass permissions but this isn't the behavior I've observed as I've given everyone Read access to the Images and AppLauncher library in Central Admin (but obviously I didn't send out links to them).

Any ideas?

1 Reply

Hi youo mentioned 'pointed it to the Central Admin tile library'. Probably that's the reason why only farm admins can see the app launcher.