SharePoint Permission Level

Copper Contributor

To any expert here,

I created 1 document library for our department but there are 2 sections under this department. How can I give different permission level on certain files to the 2 sections. I did not use any folder. I just saved all files for the entire department in 1 library. Half of the files should only seen by one section and the half should be seen by another section. What will be the best approach on this? thank you.

-Gina

6 Replies

@gmpunzalan10 split the files in to 2 seperate libraries with custom permissions. Or create folders in the library and set permissions on the folders

thank you peterdeleu. but how can we collaborate on common files between 2 sections?

You can setup three SharePoint groups 1) Departmentsection1 2) departmentsection2 & 3)departmentsectioncommon.
then you can maintain item level permission for all documents, how you are separating the two sections in same library, so you can add "departmentsectioncommon" security group to the respective documents where those users need to interact with both section files.
we have that group but this means, we need to give the permission per document. am I right?
yes.. when you approach item level permission then we need to add that common group manually in the respective document.

@gmpunzalan10  yes. This also means that if tomorrow a new group needs access to these documents you have the give them permissions on all the documents one by one. That's why I prefer to work with separate libraries or folders. Depends on the amount of documents also. Item-level permissions are possible but not always easy to maintain.