SOLVED

SharePoint Organization

Copper Contributor

My company is migrating from 2016 to SPO. A lot of work was done before I got here, but most of it is using sub-sites still and classic sites. As I build the new SP, I'm a bit confused on a few items:

• If I create a second hub for HR, should both the team and comm site be in this hub?
  • How does the HR team see these two links, together in the main navigation and I just name them differently? I get targeted nav so the general company public does not see the HR team link.
  • I don't understand the flow of documents between the two sites; if an employee uploads a doc does this go to HR team site? and when they need to access it later, where does it live normally, team or comm site? Does the doc need to be duplicated to a library on the comm site for the employee?
  • We have many divisions that I think will need team and comm sites; similar to above, how do I deal with lists or calendars that need to live on both site

Sorry for the elementary questions. I've learning a lot about SP, but I can't seem to get passed needing to do more advanced tasks as well as streamline things to avoid unnecessary work.

I've found training on Udemy, but if anyone has a not-too-expensive recommendation for move advanced training other than google searches, that would be great. Thanks in advance for your help and l

1 Reply
best response confirmed by ecflyer (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@ecflyer 

• If I create a second hub for HR, should both the team and comm site be in this hub?'

Depends, What is the Com site used for and what is the Team site used for? Idealy the Communication site is HR landing page and avaiable for all, with links to all the HR stuff users wants. This site is typicly the hub also

The team should be private ?  and is where HR collaborates, and should be connected to the HR HUB for navigation , new etc

• How does the HR team see these two links, together in the main navigation and I just name them differently? I get targeted nav so the general company public does not see the HR team link.

Name them diffrently as they are not the same site.  Hub is called HR and maybe the team in navigaiton is called HR Internal

• I don't understand the flow of documents between the two sites; if an employee uploads a doc does this go to HR team site? and when they need to access it later, where does it live normally, team or comm site? Does the doc need to be duplicated to a library on the comm site for the employee?

Depends what doc ?  idealy you want a workflow on how users can upload HR sensetive docs.

• We have many divisions that I think will need team and comm sites; similar to above, how do I deal with lists or calendars that need to live on both site

Seperate by subject, HR hub site is for all employees and should have information and events related to those,  Teamsite/team should have calenders,planners etc related to HR Internal work 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ecflyer (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@ecflyer 

• If I create a second hub for HR, should both the team and comm site be in this hub?'

Depends, What is the Com site used for and what is the Team site used for? Idealy the Communication site is HR landing page and avaiable for all, with links to all the HR stuff users wants. This site is typicly the hub also

The team should be private ?  and is where HR collaborates, and should be connected to the HR HUB for navigation , new etc

Name them diffrently as they are not the same site.  Hub is called HR and maybe the team in navigaiton is called HR Internal

Depends what doc ?  idealy you want a workflow on how users can upload HR sensetive docs.

Seperate by subject, HR hub site is for all employees and should have information and events related to those,  Teamsite/team should have calenders,planners etc related to HR Internal work 

View solution in original post