Sharepoint online, views with custom columns, document properties

Copper Contributor

I have created several views within our Document Library that will help with sorting of specific information. Within each view I have created new columns that are relevant for that specific view. Switching between each view delivers the outcome that I was expecting. Note: I will not require more than one view per given area.

The issue I am facing is when viewing a particular documents properties within a given View. The doc properties shows all of the new columns I created rather than the columns specific to the particular view I am interested in. This becomes an issue when completing the document properties/metadata after an upload. Rather than only showing the properties for that specific the view the properties pane is polluted with all the columns I created which makes it difficult to fill out the relevant information. 

How can get around this?

1 Reply

@Patrick Leroux The columns you added are technically not view-specific, but they are actually added to the entire library, which is why when you go to view or edit properties for an item you see all of the columns. 

The way to create item/document specific properties/columns is to create Content Types. Basically, it sounds like each of the views you created should instead each be created as different Content Types. Each Content Type can have its own defined set of columns/properties. 

I would recommend doing some reading and research on Content Types.