Mar 11 2022 12:28 AM
Mar 11 2022 12:28 AM
For a few weeks now, SharePoint Online has been using Microsoft Editor for spell checking. The SharePoint pages that were created with the basic language English then show errors in everything that is written in Swedish. I can not find a way to turn off the spelling checker or change it so that the spelling checker is in Swedish.
Since it is not possible to change a SharePoint site from the language in which it was once installed, it must be possible to solve it in some other way. The sites that are installed with Swedish as the basic language work with MS Editor. How do I solve being able to write in Swedish on English SharePoint pages without all text being marked in red as misspelled?
I have tried to install MS editor addon to Edge, and tried different settings without any progress.
Mar 11 2022 01:53 AM
We have the same problem with our sites, which we have created in English, but we only use German texts.
I guess since the MS Editor is installed globally and you can't configure it, it use by the default language, which is English. Unfortunately, you cannot change the default language.
We are also looking for a solution.
Mar 11 2022 04:59 AM
Mar 13 2022 05:15 AM
Mar 14 2022 01:49 AM
Thanks for your reply.
If I understand you correct, if this is the case then all users that could edit that page would get the problem!? BUT in my case this only happens to 1 of 5 users with the right to edit.
Mar 14 2022 05:54 AM
Mar 14 2022 06:42 AM
We have tested different browsers
We have tested different computer
We have tested MS Editor extension installed, On and Off
We have tested without MS editor exension
All this the but the users still gets the problem, and Im not able to reproduce it on my computer with my account.
The page that we have created is in english (cannont be changed be design). Language in our browser is 1. Swedish 2 English , 3 English
Mar 15 2022 02:54 PM
There is definitely a difference with the extension on or off. With the extension on, it is willing to recognize more than one language and to respect the language-specific configuration of the extension, but those languages must be among the top 3 browser languages.
There is a fair bit of processing dedicated to the language of Topic type Communication pages the multilingual feature enabled. Within it, but sometimes elsewhere, it looks for a cookie called "siteLangPref" to override the language selection. As I mentioned elsewhere, this is the cookie that is set when you select the dropdown language list on multilingual sites (note: never use that selector, it has too many side effects). When it is set, it often returns the "wrong" language code, one that does not correspond to the actual language.
With a little tinkering you can change which one language it will ignore if it is spelled correctly, but it will give squiggles for the other languages. Without the extension, I have not found a way to make it accept more than one language.
I wonder whether it is like the Teams spell checker, where you have to have installed the dictionaries in the local workstation version of Office.
Mar 17 2022 05:15 AM
Mar 18 2022 05:05 AM
Apr 28 2022 08:03 AMSolution
Apr 28 2022 11:21 PM