Jan 25 2019 11:01 AM
Jan 25 2019 11:01 AM
Hi folks - We're experiencing an issue where an Excel spreadsheet checked out to a team member still remains in read only view and they are unable to edit it. If they try to edit it, they get a message telling them: Cant Edit Workbook - [team member name] has the workbook locked. Ask them to close the file or check it in. However... the team member name that shows in the error is the same team member who is trying to edit. So, the error is essentially telling them they can't edit something because they're the one who has it checked out. This is sporadic, thru testing we've determined this error occurs 90% of the time with Chrome and IE, I only received the error once when using MS Edge. This is happening for me (SP admin) as well as other team members. I have a list below of the various troubleshooting I've tried.
Jan 27 2019 11:48 PM
Feb 01 2019 10:56 AM
For anyone keeping tabs on this issue, I now have a ticket open with Microsoft and they're doing research to identify a solution. I'll update this post when we come to a conclusion on this.
Apr 07 2019 06:19 PM
@Kateraid did this issue get fixed in your environment.
May 08 2019 06:56 AM
@Mahendra Ranaweera no, not yet. I've been working with Microsoft. They've been trying to pull logs of the issue occurring, but the log tool they're using keeps shutting down before we can complete the exercise on Chrome. Their log tool works on the other browsers, but the other browsers are sporadic with the issue and we didn't happen to experience the issue on the other browsers while they were running their log tool, therefore they've advised since we can't recreate the issue in the other browsers while their log tool is running they've concluded this is not an issue on non-Chrome browsers. I have screen captures of the issue occurring, and the MS team members have witnessed it happen while on screen share sessions with me, but because they can't capture a successful log they tell me their tech support team can't do any research on the issue. At this time they've told me to avoid Chrome, which is problematic for my company for a variety of other reasons. To say I'm disappointed is putting it lightly. After a few of my company's big projects wrap up & I have more availability from other team members, I'm planning to leverage another team member to see if they have better luck running the Microsoft log tool while recreating the issue in chrome so we can capture a successful log. I spent several hours over multiple ph calls with the MS tech support group and every time we tried this on my computer their log tool crashed. I'll update this post again when we get to that point.