SharePoint Online site loses permissions

Copper Contributor

I have a site in my SharePoint Online tenant that is for HR to update all employees on new hires and forms, etc.

I added "everyone except external users" to the visitors group. 

It worked fine but recently, it keeps being removed from the group and I have to go back in and manually re-add it.

How can I check to see how this is being removed?  

6 Replies

@Phillip Poole Is this an Team Site connected to Office 365 Groups? If so, that's a bug or a feature depending on how you look at it. (there are other threads in the MTC about this).

If you add Everyone as a direct permission (not inside Visitors) it should stick.

@Kevin Crossman 

Yes, this is a Team site and had an Office 365 group created by the link in the lower left corner many months after the site was built.

I am confused by your last sentence.  How do I add everyone with direct permission.  Do you mean on the home page and invite them?   

We want to have everyone have access but only view.   

Is this getting confusing?

@Phillip Poole Gear menu -> Site Permissions.

Then click Advanced Permissions Settings. (e.g. https://<tenant>.sharepoint.com/sites/<groupname>/_layouts/15/user.aspx)

Then "Grant Permissions" to Everyone except external with the permission "read"

Thanks @Kevin Crossman 

But just out of curiosity, how does this differ from going into the Visitor Group and adding by New -> add users?

This is how I normally do it and it seems like the same thing but different way.   Right?

@Phillip Poole As a practical matter it does not differ in the outcome. The only difference is that one works and the other doesn't (when its a Private Group site, not a traditional team site or comms site)

Sounds good.  @Kevin Crossman 

I will change my strategy on adding people/groups to sites.