SharePoint Online Search Filters - Managed Metadata

Deleted
Not applicable

Hi All

Hopefully an easy question. On the SharePoint Online search results page (/_layouts/15/search.aspx) is it possible to have additional filters on the Files tab using Managed Metadata?

If so, please could you point me in the right direction to configure this?

Thanks

Allan

SharePoint Online Search Filters.png

24 Replies

I don't think you can add additional file types in Office365 like sharepoint server. Maybe you can try the spfx route to add custom refiners as mentioned in blog below.

http://thecollaborationcorner.com/2017/10/16/build-dynamic-sharepoint-search-experiences-with-refine...

Hi!

I am working on the modern search experience for sharepoint. Currently there is no way to customize the filters you see on the verticals of search.

You wold like to add custom filters from managed meta data store? Are there other kind of filters you think are lacking in the modern search experience?

It was demoed at the SharePoint Conference. I was not able to see any update or roadmap item related to that.

Look at 1:08 https://mediastream.microsoft.com/events/2018/1805/SharepointSummit/

Maybe @Naomi Moneypenny or @Mark Kashman have an update on that? I think Naomi said soon.

We need that feature and are rolling out an updated Intranet in the next few weeks. 

Hi!

The customization functionality that @Naomi Moneypenny showed you on the virtual summit is not yet implemented by us on the search team. We know this functionality is important to you and we are currently in planning of implementing this functionality. 

Another thing we know is important is that customers want the same recognizable search experience across office 365, not different ones in each workload like office.com, sharepoint home and team / comm / hub sites. So we now have used the same modern search experience in all of these endpoints. We are continuing to work hard on this and we will also focus on providing customization functionality like the ones shown in the video to the modern search. We don't have an exact ETA for when this will be ready, but sadly not the coming weeks.

What I can do is to notify you here as soon as we are able to start this work and keep you updated on the progress.

Understand that this is missed, but interested in your opinions on the new modern search page and the progress on this so far.

Thanks @Geir-Magnus Pettersen for the quick and honest reply. I was hoping for a "present in may (SPC) / ship by september, present in september (Ignite) / ship by may" cadence.

We will then look at  @Franck Cornu 's solution that was demoed on a PnP call 2 weeks ago https://youtu.be/XbeDlHuGYdQ?t=2748 This will allow us to use the refiners / filters but on a specific page. We will probably do it at a hub level. 

As you said, a consistant user experience would be much better. Search can be initiated from many places and different results / presentation is not what our users expect.

Here is the first article on moder/classic that also touches upon filter.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/SharePoint/differences-classic-modern-search

Any update on when this Search customization will be available?

Thanks

@Geir-Magnus Pettersen wrote:

Hi!

The customization functionality that @Naomi Moneypenny showed you on the virtual summit is not yet implemented by us on the search team. We know this functionality is important to you and we are currently in planning of implementing this functionality. 

Another thing we know is important is that customers want the same recognizable search experience across office 365, not different ones in each workload like office.com, sharepoint home and team / comm / hub sites. So we now have used the same modern search experience in all of these endpoints. We are continuing to work hard on this and we will also focus on providing customization functionality like the ones shown in the video to the modern search. We don't have an exact ETA for when this will be ready, but sadly not the coming weeks.

What I can do is to notify you here as soon as we are able to start this work and keep you updated on the progress.

Understand that this is missed, but interested in your opinions on the new modern search page and the progress on this so far.

Work is ongoing on adding new filters and custom filters. Don't have a ETA yet but we are experimenting with among others author refiners.

@Geir-Magnus PettersenJust checking in... any update?

@jfkcorp 

Looking for an ETA also...

@Geir-Magnus Pettersen @jfkcorp @AkarinW @Benoit Fournier I need to add customized filters to the modern search experience, and am wondering if there has been any progress on adding this functionality. Please let me know if a solution has been found, either as a work-around or an ETA for an official upgrade. Thank you. 

Looking for an ETA also...

@brookecouchman 

Don't have an ETA yet for the custom refiners, but can tell you that work is ongoing to get the best possible experience and that I will post back here as soon as we are closing in on a date!

@Geir-Magnus PettersenI saw in O365 Roadmap there's a Search feature (Featured ID: 34273)

rolling out but it did not mention modern search with filters. Any update on the customization functionality displayed in virtual summit?

Need to be able to filter search results in SharePoint Modern. 

Now that the SharePoint search box has been merged with the Microsoft Search box in the header (roadmap ID 34273), it's doubly important that we have some way of customising the search results - not just filters, but result sources, etc.

@ASpinner The Roadmap ID 34273 - Microsoft Search GA which is now already launched doesn't seem to add the capability to have custom filters that will refine a search by using managed metadata.

I went onto Microsoft's Roadmap site and found this ID 57054 - Custom verticals and refiners in Microsoft Search
New support for custom verticals and refiners in Microsoft Search allows you to customize out of the box verticals for Microsoft Search, add custom refiners, create new verticals for SharePoint and OneDrive, and create modern result types with modern display templates with adaptive cards for OneDrive and SharePoint content.

Does anyone know if this will allow you to add Custom Filters to the search so you can filter on Managed Metadata?

Any idea's when this will be launched on the Roadmap page it says Status: In development, with Release: Q2 CY2020 which has already pasted...

I am interested in search filter feature improvements as well. Following...

@Simeon_Hemus There is now a 'PnP modern search web part' which you can grab off Github, which seems to allow such filtering. 

https://microsoft-search.github.io/pnp-modern-search/