SharePoint Online - save as a site template

Brass Contributor

Hi, I have saved a SharePoint Online site as a template. I have selected all content. I have read that this includes the following: 

1. Lists,
  2. List views,
  3. Data views,
  4. Libraries,
  5. Content Types,
  6. Workflows,
  7. Data source connection,
  8. Custom forms,
  9. Custom actions,
  10. Master pages,
  11. Navigation,
  12. Site Pages.

I have multiple libraries with document templates like this example. After importing the site all seems the same but the document templates do not open. It seems that these are now inactive. 

Has anyone else come across this? Is it a case that uploaded templates just do not copy across? I have also tried a migration software to copy the library across but the templates do no come with it. 

laceyk_0-1681815532250.png

8 Replies

@laceyk 

I couldn't find any specific information about this issue in my search results, but maybe this link will help you a bit.

Save, download, and upload a SharePoint site as a template

..if not, please just ignore it :).

@laceyk Save site as a template functionality is not supported in SharePoint Online (modern sites). Maybe that's why you are facing this issue in SharePoint online. Did you check if it is working in classic experience as site templates are supported in classic sites only?

Microsoft recommends that to use the new Site Templates for SharePoint Online environments.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs

@ganeshsanap Thank you for responding. I did read that it is not supported so this could be the reason. How do I save the site as a template then? I have read through the documentation and it only states what not to do with a modern site. 

thank you for responding. I did look at this link yesterday but it only says what not to do if it is a modern site. I still cannot figure out how to save it as a site template if the usual way is not supported.

@laceyk Microsoft recommends doing it using PnP Provisioning engine. 

Check this documentation: Introducing the PnP provisioning engine 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs

@ganeshsanap I am trying to get PnP Powershell working on my machine. It states global admin is needed to connect it to the tenant first. 

I have successfully gotten PowerShell pnponline cmlet installed finally. I can take a back up of the site and push it to a new one, all works ok. However I cannot make it as a site template so users can select it when creating a new site.

This PowerShell process is all good for pushing a site template down to a new site but standard users won't be able to do that. So I think it is a case of document libraries with templates just do not copy across which is a huge pity.

I have successfully gotten PowerShell pnponline cmlet installed finally. I can take a back up of the site and push it to a new one, all works ok. However I cannot make it as a site template so users can select it when creating a new site.

This PowerShell process is all good for pushing a site template down to a new site but standard users won't be able to do that. So I think it is a case of document libraries with templates just do not copy across which is a huge pity.