Sharepoint Online Require check-out to edit files in a library folder

Copper Contributor

Hello there!

I am currently having trouble regarding a library in Sharepoint online. 

I would like to implement a system where files within a folder in my library can only be edited once its been check out; however I am unable to do so.

I have already tried going to Library Settings -> Versioning Settings -> Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited? -> YES

When I choose 'YES' it implements the check-out to edit feature on files in a Sharepoint Library; however, files within a Sharepoint library folder are stuck in 'View Only' mode even when Checked-Out.

Can I please get a solution regarding this; whether it be via library settings, or a step-by-step solution using power automate flow, etc.

Thank you so much!

6 Replies
Hi, is that also the case woensdag you open it in the Word app?
Yes, it stays as view only no matter what.

@muzill Do you have edit permissions on the documents inside folder?

Can you show us the screenshot of how it is showing in view only mode? Do you see "Viewing/Editing" option at the top of when you open any file?

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

I'm not able to send a screenshot, but on the top right there's a blue tab which says 'Viewing' with a bubble underneath it that says 'you can only view this document. you do not have permissions to edit it.' This is only with documents inside a folder in the library. I have full permission to check out and edit documents directly in the library.

@muzill it sounds like someone else has limited the access rights on that folder and/or the files in that folder. Please check the Permissions on the folder and some of the files in it.

@muzill That means you don't have permissions to edit the documents inside this folder. There are item level permissions applied on this folder.

Ask your administrator to grant you Contribute or higher permissions on this folder to edit documents OR if you have access to site owners or site collection administrator user account, try login with this account and you can see the permissions for this folder and you can grant permissions to your current user account.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.