SharePoint Online Recycle Bin Copy/Backup

Brass Contributor

Hi,

This might be a odd question but is it possible at all to make a backup or copy of my Recycle Bin, if not possible no worries.

Reason for asking : Some people deletes file and remembers 100days later they accidently deleted the file, then it's a bit harder to get back the file just from restoring the file from the recycle bin.

Thanks.

10 Replies
I can only think on doing this with PS. You can use PS to access the recycle bin, but I have not tested if you can also get the items that are in the recycle bin to your local PC

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and update.

I know you mentioned you haven't tested it, but did you perhaps ran any commands? Or possible commands to run, I will also check any get back.

Thanks.

Hi,

@jvdwesthuizen3rd party product would do the trick ( something like https://spanning.com/products/office365-backup/) , but seems a bit excessive. If it was my project I would just agree the service level with the customer/business and set it at 93 days.  I know a lot of orgs that only have 30 days backup of servers etc. 

Kind regards

Andy

@Andrew Hodges 

Thanks for the update and details.

Is there perhaps a powershell script (or command rather) that you know of that I can use to copy files to my local pc or server?

Thanks.

@jvdwesthuizen  afraid not. 

Have you looked at retention labels? Applying retention labels makes it harder for users to delete files as they have to physically remove the retention label before being able to delete the content. Its not actually how I would have implemented retention labels but may be useful in this case. 

@Andrew Hodges 

Yes, I'm aware of this and have looked onto it but then IT have to remove the files and want to avoid that and also sometimes poeple creates folders / files by mistake, then they can jsut delete them.

So there is no possible way do possibly sync / download the sharepoint online recycle bin with a script or another way?

Thanks.

@jvdwesthuizen  Not that I have seen, all restored content is restored to its original location and there isnt an option to restore it somewhere else. 

@jvdwesthuizen  I don't like your chances with that as neither of those links say how to download an item from the recycle bin specifically. I think all I can say is good luck with it and let us know if you find a way of getting the data out as it may be useful to other users. 

@Andrew Hodges 

Sure, makes sense and as you mentioned, it only get the files and not restoring them. I will defnintally post the outcome of my test with the script here.

Thanks.