SOLVED

Sharepoint Online Permissions

Copper Contributor

I have a list in SP O365 online, with say, 50 columns.

I have made a form with PowerApps so that a user in the permission group 'Contributor' can add information into say 20 columns.

So that's great, and I can set that group so they can add via the form, but cannot edit, as I don't want them editing the additional columns.

I'd like to have 3 views:

1. All Columns

2. 20 Columns in the form + 5

3. 30 other columns

What I can't seem to do is link a view to a permission group.

That is to say, make it so anyone in the Contributor Group can only see View 2, and someone in the 'Full Control Group' can see 1-3

Can anyone tell me how, or if, this can be done?

Thanks!

Scott

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Beau Cameron (MVP)
Solution
You can't at all, since permissions are row based, not column based. Anyone can technically come right into the list and use quick edit, or other means to edit the data if they were really savvy.

Anyway, you're best bet is going to handle it through the PowerApp itself and try to keep them to that. You might even look into splitting the app out on it's own, and using a webpart to access it or mobile etc. Since having it tied to the list directly limits you in that regard to only new form / edit form / view form scenarios. Then just hide the list, or don't put link to it. But link people to the page with your PowerApp webpart, or direct to the powerapp from a link etc. Then you control what they see etc. through the Powerapp itself.

Thanks, @Chris Webb That's what I thought. :(

What we are going to do is set up a permission group that can add to a list, but not edit.

That way they can add to the list and then see all but not edit.

We will also set a view for them and instruct them to always switch to that view.

Cheers!

Scootter

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Beau Cameron (MVP)
Solution
You can't at all, since permissions are row based, not column based. Anyone can technically come right into the list and use quick edit, or other means to edit the data if they were really savvy.

Anyway, you're best bet is going to handle it through the PowerApp itself and try to keep them to that. You might even look into splitting the app out on it's own, and using a webpart to access it or mobile etc. Since having it tied to the list directly limits you in that regard to only new form / edit form / view form scenarios. Then just hide the list, or don't put link to it. But link people to the page with your PowerApp webpart, or direct to the powerapp from a link etc. Then you control what they see etc. through the Powerapp itself.

View solution in original post