SOLVED

SharePoint Online Permissions

Copper Contributor
Hi Guys please help me out. In my sharepoint site when I click site permissions, I only see the standard viewers, members and owners permissions group. However when I go into different libraries and view their specific permissions through the library settings, I see new groups for unique permissions which aren't shown in overall site permissions - why is this? this is causing me so much anxiety to work it out
16 Replies

@Taha_Rana 

It's totally possible. When checking the permission page, if some items doesn't have the same permission, it will be listed here

Vertebre85_0-1613160391688.png

In the pop up you will see libraries that have separate permissions (part 1) and item that have separate permission in part 2

Vertebre85_1-1613160493675.png

Now, please note that if the user doesn't have at least "read" access in the main permission, he will not be able to open the site ( but well direct link of document).

If you are scared, you can open from that page the permission and remove all the "unique permission".

In the meantime you can run a report from the "site usage" part

Vertebre85_2-1613160652670.png

The bottom part is about sharing.

but my question is that why can't I see the unique permissions groups in the overall site permissions section? because to create a unique group in the first place, you have to open site permissions then click new group??

@Taha_Rana 

No you can create groupe from site setting/"people and group" also. (this option will not appear if connected to a group 365, simply append "_layouts/15/groups.aspx" at the end of your url)

In the site permission, if you create a group without assigning a permission role, it create a group with no access, not listed in the permission role.

For example in your site, if you go to the  groups pages, you will see system group like "everyone" or "everyone except external user" , created by sharepoint, that you can use in the site, but it doesn't mean they have access to the site.

if you don't have, on the page "advanced permission", the following message "Some content on this site has different permissions from what you see here. Show these items.", there is no unique permission on the site.

I am still a little confused at what you mean by appending the URL? and where will I see this? .. can you make a video and show me please?

@Taha_Rana 

To see all the groups available in site/site collection go to below URL:

https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/siteName/_layouts/15/groups.aspx

Replace tenant and siteName with your actual tenant & site name. Here you can see all the groups.

On site permissions page (https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/siteName/_layouts/15/user.aspx), you can only see the groups which have direct permissions assigned on site.

Hope this clarify your doubt.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap but I am still not understanding. my question is that if someone has created a unique group for a specific library, then why can't I see this library group in the site permissions page.

Also how do you create this separate library group then so it doesn't show on the main site permissions page?

Please detail out the exact steps.

@Taha_Rana Because those users does not have direct access on SharePoint "site". They only have limited access on site, as they have given permissions directly on document library.

You can see such permissions from site permissions when you click on Show users (see below image from "site permissions" page):

Limited access permissions.png

Also, you can create groups from "People and Groups" page (siteUrl/_layouts/15/groups.aspx). While creating group, if you are not assigning any permissions to the site then those groups will not be shown on "site permissions" page. See below "Create New Group" screenshot:

Create new group.png

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap oh okay, so you are saying that you can create many user groups, but as long as you untick all permission levels, they won't be shown in the main site permissions page correct?

secondly, if I have created such a group without ticking any permissions, then how in the library level I assign them unique permissions? can you show a picture for this please?

@Taha_Rana Yes, correct.

You can assign unique permissions like:

1. Go to document library.
  2. Click on gear (settings) icon from top right corner and then select Library settings.
  3. On library settings page, select Permissions for this document library under "Permissions and Management" section.
  4. From PERMISSIONS tab, select Stop Inheriting Permissions. This will create unique permissions for the document library.
  5. Then to assign permissions to group, you can select Grant Permissions from same PERMISSIONS tab

@ganeshsanap okay thank you for explaining the first question! (I will try this out in the office and let you know my experience)

however with regards to the second question, how do I choose the level of permission to assign to that specific library group if initially when creating the group in the overall site permissions page, I unticked all of the levels? (I hope you understand what I am asking?)

@Taha_Rana Yes, correct.

You can assign unique permissions like:

1. Go to document library.
  2. Click on gear (settings) icon from top right corner and then select Library settings.
  3. On library settings page, select Permissions for this document library under "Permissions and Management" section.
  4. From PERMISSIONS tab, select Stop Inheriting Permissions. This will create unique permissions for the document library.
  5. Then to assign permissions to group, you can select Grant Permissions from same PERMISSIONS tab

Stop inherting permissions.png

so basically, do you type in the group name to grant them permissions? and then how do you choose the level of permission to give them? is there a drop down or anything??

@Taha_Rana If you want to assign permissions to group at site level then you can go to "site permissions" page and then select Grant Permissions.

This is same process as you follow to assign permissions to individual users or other groups at site level.

what I mean to ask is, initially to create a unique library permissions group we go into site permissions create a group and then untick all permission levels so it doesn't show in the overall site permission groups correct.

second when we want to assign that group to a specific library, how do we decide what level of permission access to give it e.g owner, edit or contribute?
best response confirmed by Taha_Rana (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Taha_Rana 

Yes, you need to search the group name, select it and below search you can see a dropdown where you can assign the permissions.

Grant permissions.png

thank you ganesh brother I will try this method and update you how it went!

can I contact you on whatsapp? you have been very helpful!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Taha_Rana (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Taha_Rana 

Yes, you need to search the group name, select it and below search you can see a dropdown where you can assign the permissions.

Grant permissions.png

View solution in original post