SOLVED

SharePoint Online Permission Review

Copper Contributor

Hey! 

I've started to manage an existing SharePoint Online tenant for a pretty large company. They are using SharePoint Online as a document store with about 500GB in one document library.  The previous IT had had them connected with WebDev connections to the site / doc library and going down though the folder and file structure there are tons of individual permissions attributed to these folders to allow or restrict access to the content. 

My questions is, would it be possible to review all permissions within the site allowing me to see, which group or user has access to a certain folder / file? 

Ideally, I'd like to try and pull a full permissions report and export to CSV which can be easily reviewed. 

Do you know of any tools or powershell scrips I could use to give me this data?

3 Replies
Unfortunately in SPO we don't have this feature....you can generate a sharing report for a site, but this sharing report is not going to give you all the permissions applied on documents of the site....so I would recommend you to check this sharing report and then write your own permissions report using CSOM SPO API

Hi @Enzo Faranda ,

If writing a report is too daunting then purchase a good SharePoint Management Tool like ShareGate, that will give a report that you are looking for.

Andy

best response confirmed by Enzo Faranda (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Enzo Faranda 

I forgot to say - you can download a free trial of ShareGate to see if it does what you need although it does skip random content for trial purposes. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Enzo Faranda (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Enzo Faranda 

I forgot to say - you can download a free trial of ShareGate to see if it does what you need although it does skip random content for trial purposes. 

View solution in original post