Sharepoint Online Move functionality is not working appropriately

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to move a folder from a document library from one subsite to a library on another. When I click on 'Move to', Sharepoint Online opens a dialogue box to select the destination. When I click on 'More places' link, it only shows me 'Frequent', 'Followed' and 'Teams' sites/subsites. There is not option to open the subsite that's not in one of the above. Need a fix urgently.

Regards,

Kedar

7 Replies

@ksapte yes unfortunately this is the current behavior :(

The only trick you can do, as workaround (very tedious indeed), you can open upfront the destination library so it shows under the 'Frequent' tab.

Otherwise you can create a Power Automate that move the files for you.

In this case you can specify the full destination path url during the flow creation.

so the OOB Move functionality is basically useless? Is this "current behavior" going to be fixed?

@beach1000 it's like that since the beginning, honestly only the MSFT Product Group could answer with an ETA. I suspect it's not on their top priority list

@mr_w1nst0ni disagree with you. The original move functionality was very simple with an option at the bottom of the pop up to open more sites/subsites in the same tenant. That gave more freedom to the user to select any destination which was not a part of the frequently visited list displayed on the popup when you click on 'Move' button in SPO library.

@MR_w1st0n, thanks. But the workarounds you have suggested are highly inefficient. i have to open the destination at least 10 times to get it into the frequently visited subsites list. also, if i have to create power automate flow for each move, i will have to expend 100s of API calls per day which will make it uneconomical.

@ksapte 

Efficient or not is merely personal.
Your original post stated you need an urgent fix but you have just replied 1 months after.
This makes me think we have a different "personal" opinion of urgency

Backtrack to the tech: I'm still curious about how many "Move" action you need to perform during business hour.

• If the end-users need to heavily move items between libraries in SPO another option could be to sync the libraries using OneDrive and let them move the contents directly via windows explorer.
  • If you have a business process in place that requires to move items from Library A to Library B then I would still go for Power Automate.

My believe is that the logic of the original functionality changed (not recently), to fight exactly the freedom you mentioned.

In large enterprises, people had the opposite problem by having to interact and choose between thousand of site collections/libraries across the all tenant.

By switching the logic in favor of the frequently visited list, the users can see directly the libraries they are working with.

In the scenario where the users need to deal with a large number of site collections/libraries then the OOB Move functionality is limited (I agree on that) and other solutions need to be considered (OneDrive ?)

@mr_w1nst0nnever mind about my personal opinion. I had already worked with the workarounds you suggested in your email and was just trying to share my observations.