SharePoint Online modern site default theme

Deleted
Not applicable

Hi all,

We now have these new site theming options in SharePoint Online (Site theming @ Docs) and the ability to turn off default themes and adding our own. Thats is great, but so far we still cannot control the default theme, when we create new modern SharePoint site collections (connected with an Office 365 group).

Is this still the case? We cannot seem to find any documentation regarding this point.

I know that we can use this new "Site scripts" and "Site designs" functionality to control it (from SharePoint home), but SharePoint site collections can be created from other sources (like Outlook or Microsoft Teams) and in our case - in a custom site provisioning solution.

Thanks in advance!

7 Replies
Definitively Site Scripts and Site Desings should be the answer here, but as you mentions it's not clear how to use them in a custom provisioning solution. I asked this in a PnP call last week, but the answer I got was not clear

Thanks for your reply.

As to my knowledge, it is not possible to apply programmatically. At least for now. Another working solution for me would be that we can control "a default site theme" to use in general in SharePoint admin center - not necessary programmatically. 

I'm not talking about applying a theme pro-grammatically...Site Designs and Site Themes are applied based on a template ID. If you read the documentation, it's stated that it's possible to apply them automatically to Communication and Mondern Team sites...but I also asked if the same is possible with a custom template and this is what is not clear to me

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/declarative-customization/site-design-overview?branc...

Well, yes - if you choose a template when creating it from SharePoint Home.

To my knowledge, you cannot register a site script to run whenever a modern team site is created, only on a modern team site with a template (e.g. site design) created from SharePoint Home.

I do miss a capability like the old on-prem feature stapling concept, just to trigger something when a specific type of site is created. Site Scripts is close, but no cigar yet :\

Any updates regarding this?

Yes, the default site design will be used even if you creates the Group from lets say Outlook. I haven't had time to test it further, but seems to be more and more a viable solution for us.

Jonas you're absolutely right! Great stuff, thank you.