SharePoint Online missing fields on content types

Brass Contributor

I have 2 site collections that are missing fields in Item Content Type, Document Content Type and Site Page Content type.  The fields are Name and Title

laceyk_0-1684323380725.png

This is site collection where it is correct show the 2 fields. 

laceyk_1-1684323499838.png

I have opened the SharePoint Admin Center and clicked on Publish so all content types throughout all site collections get updated. However I get this error when I click on Update. 

laceyk_2-1684323670115.png

I don't know why this is happened as a few weeks ago all of these sites worked fine. The main issue this is causing is linked to the Home page of a modern site. It cannot be edited. 

Has anyone ever come across this before?

laceyk_3-1684323759051.png

4 Replies

@laceyk If you go to Site Pages library settings, do you see those columns? Did someone from your company changed/delete those columns from site settings > site columns section?

Try raising support ticket with Microsoft as well from: Get M365 support - online support. Maybe, they will try to help you analyze the issue with these 2 site collections in your tenant.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

HI, thank you for responding. No I am the only SharePoint person and I didn't delete them. At one point I was trying to copy a full site across to the new destination via Powershell. When it was going through the copying, it failed with an error about the template, that it was different to the source. So I abandoned that and just used a migration tool to copy the libraries and lists etc.

However, I am beginning to think something got corrupted along the way and now both those fields are missing from the site collection content type, site pages. I have tried copying them across from a site collection that has them but it states they already exist.

It just looks like a corruption now to me.

@laceyk If there is no data in those SharePoint sites, you can delete those and create new sites.

Then again you can use Migration tool to migrate content or use PnP provisioning and site templates to migrate lists/libraries structure.

Follow this documentation: Introducing the PnP provisioning engine 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

thankfully the sites that were created months ago are not impacted, Now when I create a modern site, the site creates but I cannot edit the home page.

The only solution I have come to, is create a brand new site collection and create new sites going forward in that.

I think it was the PNP Provisioning that caused this issue in the first place, copying from one site collection to another. The source site has not been impacted but the 2 destination site collections I was moving some sites to are now missing 2 columns in the Site Page content type.