SharePoint Online list with 1 day retention policy still showing 3 days of items

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have a SharePoint Online list set up with a 1 day retention policy - I set this up under List settings > Information management policy settings: Content Type Policy: Item. In 'Edit Policy' I have 'Enable Retention' ticked, and event of Created Date + 1 days has an action of 'Move to Recycle Bin' with no recurrence.

The retention policy seems to be kicking in, but it's still keeping stuff from two days ago (so in the 'Created' filter on the list, you can see items with T-2 days, T-1 day and Today). Is there a way I can optimise to make it as strictly as possible delete items from more than 24 hours ago?

My list has thousands of items hitting it a day, so I don't think a Power Automate will be the best way to deal with it, but happy to be convinced otherwise.

All help appreciated, thanks.

3 Replies

Hi @rhiheu,

Perhaps it happens because the Policy is not determined for the Site Collection as it said here: '...A retention policy is applied at the level of a site collection. When you include a SharePoint site collection or OneDrive account in a retention policy, a Preservation Hold library is created, if one doesn't exist. You can view this library on the Site contents page in the top-level site of the site collection. Most users can't view the Preservation Hold library because it's visible only to site collection administrators...'.

Cheers,

Oleg.

Hi @olegmelnikov, thanks for your reply. Since it's possible to also set retention policies at a list/content-type level, I'm not quite understanding where that article provides an answer to my issue sorry.

Hi @rhiheu - this article may help. Looks like the policy needs to be set at the Site Collection level first, and then to the Content Type. https://sharepointmaven.com/set-retention-deletion-policies-files-folders-sharepoint/ Hope that helps.