SharePoint Online doucment expiration alerts

Copper Contributor

Requirement: Document library have metadata called start date and expiry date. I want to send reminders to people that document(s) are expiring. Please take action.  is there any OOB feature available in SharePoint online?

OR do I have to do following

1) Create a SPD workflow and send the reminders OR

2) Use IRM and use a workflow to send the reminders

What other options I have?

4 Replies
The problem with workflows is it only fires when something happens to a file. So you would need to create a looping flow or something that looks for items that are past expired and send notifications for those using loops would most likly be your best bet.

Document deletion policies work but dont' support notifications, they used to support starting a workflow but it doesn't seem like an option any longer.
I would take also a look to the possibilities that Flow can bring to your scenario

On prem create a information management policy to kick off a workflow daily (or whatever timeframe you need the check to be performed)

If SPO Flow is probably your best bet as someone else mentions

@Vikas Dhingra , I need a solution to your problem. Assign expiration dates to documents in SPO doc library and notify person/s 30/90 days before expiration. Were you able to figure this out?