SharePoint Online - Discard Check Out option missing for discarding other users files

Iron Contributor

I am a Site Collection Admin and I occasionally need to Discard Check Out for other users' files. This option has recently gone missing from our modern library experience. Is anyone else experiencing this or is there a method that I am not seeing?

Note: I can still discard check out for files that I have checked out. Just not for files that I do not have checked out.

I've been working around this by jumping into the Classic Experience, but would like the option back in the modern experience. 

checkout1.PNGcheckout2.PNG

20 Replies

For what it's worth, the "Discard Check Out" has re-appeared in my tenant. 

@Kimberly Roetman, Were you able to identify how the Discard Check Out option re-appeared?

Hi @robmhorton , No, we never did figure out why it disappeared then reappeared. I assumed it was an update gone wrong? 

@Kimberly Roetman I am a global admin and have the same issue, the Discard Check Out has disappeared for me. I need check in a document that a colleague checked out and has now since left the company.

Thanks,

James

@Kimberly Roetman wrote:

I am a Site Collection Admin and I occasionally need to Discard Check Out for other users' files. This option has recently gone missing from our modern library experience. Is anyone else experiencing this or is there a method that I am not seeing?

Note: I can still discard check out for files that I have checked out. Just not for files that I do not have checked out.

I've been working around this by jumping into the Classic Experience, but would like the option back in the modern experience. 

@Kimberly Roetman wrote:

@James Howell  - I worked around it by jumping into 'Classic Experience' (link at the bottom of the left quick launch). The 'Discard Check Out' option still existed there.

Just jumping in here with a "me too" - users were trying to move some checked-out PDFs and couldn't. The discard checkout option was missing from modern view - I'm both an owner of this Office 365 group and global administrator. Fortunately, it's still there on the classic view. Something has changed/broken recently obviously!

@Kimberly Roetman having the same issue. As I am editing pages, they are all going to "checked out" status, but no option to discard checkout. Kind of new to this so not sure what I'm doing wrong, I am the only admin and only person editing the docs, but pages seems to be moving to permanently checked out and I don't know how to remove it.

@Deleted if you are editing pages, you will want to Check In the files. Then other users can see the updates that you have made. You should be able to right click the files - select 'More' - Check In if you are using the 'new experience' on the library. 

Has anyone raised a support ticket on this? I'm pretty sure that there used to be a discard checkout on the modern view? A few weeks later and it's still not working here unless you switch back to classic view.

@Helios Comms I did not raise a ticket. I've had it disappear, reappear, then disappear again. Currently it is not showing in my tenant. I assumed it was related to being a first release user...?

This is also missing in my tenant. Putting in a support ticket now...

@dbro_2105 , @Helios Comms , @Kimberly Roetman ,

I received a response from Microsoft Premiere Support on my ticket. This is a known issue and is being addressed by the product team in an upcoming release.  The short-term fix as noted in other comments is to put the library in classic view.

@dbro_2105thanks for the update and raising the ticket. Good to know it's an acknowledged fault and that it's on the radar for fixing.

PDF does not have version and publishing feature due to which it does not shows checkout option.

@Kimberly Roetman 

In this instance, the library required files to be checked in. The user had uploaded the file, but never performed the initial check in. There is a small icon next to the file name, a black 'down' arrow, that indicates the file is checked out. That applies to files regardless of file type if the library requires check in/check out.

>PDF does not have version and publishing feature due to which it does not shows checkout option.

PDF editors (like Acrobat, Nitro Pro, Foxit etc) do have the ability to check out files. What's painfully missing is the ability to "Open in Nitro Pro" directly from SharePoint. In fact, that's close to my client's #1 wish for SharaPoint. Wonder if there is a uservoice for that?

@dbro_2105 

Just wondered if your ticket was closed or if any updates received? 

@hilliards,

my ticket was closed as they said this was a known issue that was being addressed in an upcoming release?  Safe to assume it hasn't arrived yet?  I haven't checked. 

@dbro_2105This is still a problem for me and switching to the Classic View doesn't solve the problem for me.