SharePoint Online - Content Type Template using Quick Parts

Iron Contributor

Hi,

Im trying to create a Word document template which I want to associate to a content type. I want the template to use quick parts to display the values of some of the content type fields set against the item. In this case 2 managed metadata fields (multiple values) and a single line of text field.

To create the template, I:

1. create a document in the document set,
  2. edit it (formatting and content) and add in the quick parts (which are now available as the document is associated to the content type).
  3. then save that locally as a dotx,
  4. finally, upload that dotx as the content type's document template.

However now when I create a new document using that content type, when the document is opened in word online the quick parts show the field values from when the document template was created (not the field values for the current document), and when opened in Word 2010 the quick parts show the correct values, however word crashes immeadiately. These are the details captured in Event Viewer:
Faulting application name: WINWORD.EXE, version: 14.0.7177.5000, time stamp: 0x582c882f
Faulting module name: mso.dll, version: 14.0.7180.5002, time stamp: 0x58e0ab6f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00170451
Faulting process id: 0x1fb0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2b408413a8253
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\office14\mso.dll

• Am I following the correct process to create the template, and if not, what should I be doing?
  • Why doesn't Word Online show the correct values in the quick part fields?
  • Any idea why Word 2010 Client is crashing?

Any guidance would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Nigel

0 Replies