SOLVED

SharePoint Online Content Type field appearing in New & Edit List Forms

Brass Contributor

In SharePoint Online lists, I have noticed that the Content Type field now appears in the New & Edit forms if you turn on allow management of content types.

There are situations when users don't need additional content types, However, want the form columns in a specific order, or hidden fields - in which allowing management of content types provides this functionality.

Wondering if there are any out of the box options to hide the Content Type field on the New & Edit form when there is only 1 content type.
This does not happen in classic SharePoint - however would like to avoid using that.
Also, I know you can use Power Apps, however that is currently not an option.

Thank you!!

9 Replies
best response confirmed by Lori Brady (Brass Contributor)
Solution

You can arrange the columns in the order you prefer and then turn off "allow management of content types". Then the Content Type column will not be visible.

Hello @MagnusGoksoyrOLDProfile, That is a great suggestion! This even keeps hidden fields hidden.
Thank you!! I appreciate that!

You´re welcome!

I am glad that i was able to help you! :)

@MagnusGoksoyrOLDProfile 

Hi, just following from the initial information regarding visible or hidden - Just wondering if there is a way to have different content type available for a New item raised (using an issue tracker) and Edit item option as I have different stakeholders for steps in the process and unfortunately don't have options such as flow or PowerApps to create custom processes so trying to work with the basic availabilities in SharePoint Online.  

@Nataliagleeson Do you mean that You want to be able to choose between different Content Types when you press "New" in the library/list?

@MagnusGoksoyrOLDProfile Hi Magnus - No sorry, I am requiring for example only 5 fields for the NEW item form and then for the EDIT item form, all the fields from the Issue tracker. I have ended up engaging our SharePoint developers for this task now as it seems I am locked out of this anyhow. Thank you for your time responding 

@MagnusGoksoyrOLDProfile 

this solution will eliminate the content type value (Data abstraction, data behavior...)

do we have any solution that does not involve losing the content type value?

@MagnusGoksoyrOLDProfile wrote:

You can arrange the columns in the order you prefer and then turn off "allow management of content types". Then the Content Type column will not be visible.

I am not sure why why you are mentioning arranging columns, i need the content type for different reason (create a result type for search)
I dont want to turn off “allow management of content types”

@MagnusGoksoyrOLDProfilethis totally works, but in our case we need to hide the Content Type field because we are using the different content types to hide & require different fields at points in the process, and then are using a Flow to change the content type between phases. Once you disable the content types on the list, the Flow fails since it cannot find the Content type field.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Lori Brady (Brass Contributor)
Solution

View solution in original post