SOLVED

SharePoint Online Connector licence - Web API

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I would like to find out if a connector licence(or any other licensing) is necessary in the following scenario...

We are hosting content like images, videos, etc. in SharePoint Online with an Office 365 E3 licence. 

We want to extract that content using the SharePoint Client API and display it in our Client facing MVC Online Portal. 

What are the licensing implications of this?

5 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@klarissaf 

For Starters - I'm not an licensing expert, reach out to a licensing professional for confirmation.

However, I'm fairly sure that using an API to load content on your external site from SharePoint would put you out of compliance. The reason being, that SharePoint Online is a user licensed subscription, which means if someone is accessing content within SharePoint Online would require a license. 

You could build a synchronization process to synchronize content out of SharePoint Online and into your other system. But I'm fairly sure that accessing content within SPO, requires each use to have an account.

Thanks @Beau Cameron,

So we would connect via our on Web API using a service account that has permission to SharePoint. So I think the licence would apply to that user, and then all external users do not need a licence from what I've read - but I need to confirm that.

Will contact Microsoft :)

@klarissaf I would confirm that. My understanding is that is not in compliance, because Users will be accessing content in SPO without actually authenticating (And all users require a SL to access SPO). I'm fairly certain, exporting the content out is the only way to stay in compliance.

Let me know what you find out.

100 % Thank you

@klarissaf  Did you come to a conclusion on this question?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@klarissaf 

For Starters - I'm not an licensing expert, reach out to a licensing professional for confirmation.

However, I'm fairly sure that using an API to load content on your external site from SharePoint would put you out of compliance. The reason being, that SharePoint Online is a user licensed subscription, which means if someone is accessing content within SharePoint Online would require a license. 

You could build a synchronization process to synchronize content out of SharePoint Online and into your other system. But I'm fairly sure that accessing content within SPO, requires each use to have an account.

View solution in original post