SOLVED

SharePoint Online-Communication Site-Top Nav-How to target audience?

Copper Contributor

I am trying to setup audience targeting for the top nav such that only the Site Owners would be able to view a specific link.

I am not sure how to go about this?

I have tried looking at Managed Navigation but read somewhere that it may not be possible to target an audience.

I have also tried setting up an audience in the User Profile Section on the SharePoint Online Admin Center but not sure how to target a top nav for a site collection.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

8 Replies
best response confirmed by Beau Cameron (MVP)
Solution
Unforunately audiences are not supported yet in modern SPO Sites...they are coming, but at the first stage I don't think we will have it for navigation in modern sites

Hi Juan,

Thanks for your reply!

Is there an alternative or a workaround to this?

I can only thinnk on developing a SPFx Extension that can provide this functionality

Any News or updates on this?  I am looking at using Audiences with Modern Communications site for an intranet, but need to use audiences for navigation and web parts to target specific content.    Thanks!   @Juan Carlos González Martín 

@Duane Alleman It's on the road map for end of the year this year. 

Hi @Beau Cameron 

Do you know if this feature is already deployed to SharePoint Online? I can't build a Top Navigation bar with items visible only for authorized users. Building a custom SPFX solution, is the only workaround?

Thanks.

@briangarnica This feature isn't deployed yet. SPFx is still the only way.

Thanks @Beau Cameron 

I just found this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/target-navigation-news-and-files-to-specific-audiences-33... it's the way that it should works? Do you know aprox., how many days/weeks we should expect?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Beau Cameron (MVP)
Solution
Unforunately audiences are not supported yet in modern SPO Sites...they are coming, but at the first stage I don't think we will have it for navigation in modern sites

View solution in original post