SOLVED

SharePoint Online - Cannot save site as a template since this morning

Brass Contributor

Hi!

Since this morning I cannot save anymore any site as a template to the site collection's solution gallery. I have checked whether the site size incl. content is below 50 MB (actually it is 3 MB) and whether the SharePoint Server Publishing feature is active or not (actually not active). Please see attached error page screenshot.

Yesterday evening I still could save it. What could have been changed since then?

We are using the following subscription:

Office 365 Enterprise E3
To-Do (Plan 2)
Yammer Enterprise
Azure Rights Management
The latest desktop version of Office
Skype for Business Online (Plan 2)
SharePoint Online (Plan 2)
Exchange Online (Plan 2)

Thanks!

Ciao,
Patrick

4 Replies

Further info, I have site collection admin rights.

Well, Save site as template feature relies ond SPO Sandbox solutions that are deprecated....Microsoft does not support coded Sandbox Solutions and, unlles they have changed something, they should support declarative Sandbox Solutions that it's just your case. Best you can do here is to open a support ticket
Hola Juan Carlos,

Well, I do not quite understand what is a coded Sandbox Solution and what is a declarative Sandbox Solution. You may explain this in easy words. :)
My site template stored in the site collection's solution gallery contains a generic project sub-site structure, custom lists and libraries incl. content, customized webparts and some JavaScript code snippets. The custom site columns incl. JSON CSR and content types are defined one site level higher. Now, that is exactly what I need to easily set up a sub-site for each new project.

I really cannot understand why Microsoft has "switched off" the use of site templates via the solution gallery from one day to the other?! Our IT guys have already opened up a support ticket with Microsoft. Until now, no feedback ...

As to some sources site templates and solution gallery are deprecated since 2015 I had also a look at the replacement solutions using "PnP provisioning engine" and "SharePoint Add-in". OMG, this is really complex in comparison to the easy way using a site template. I do not even know whether I could go this way as a site collection admin as I am not a SharePoint admin.

Let's see, what Microsoft responds ...

Ciao,
Patrick
best response confirmed by Patrick Borgschulte (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Works again as it should! It was a bug on Microsoft's side ...

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Patrick Borgschulte (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Works again as it should! It was a bug on Microsoft's side ...

View solution in original post