SOLVED

SharePoint Online - Cannot move folder to a different site

Iron Contributor

I'm trying to use the 'Move To' function to move a folder to a library on a different site. Typically, I select the folder, click "Move To", and select a site from the information panel. Today I see the following message, "Move 1 item" - the folder name - 'additional destinations are available for moving smaller items". However the only option I have is the current library. There is no sites list or even other libraries as options for destination. 

(we are a current release tenant, however I am a first release user). Any advice? 

44 Replies
best response confirmed by Kimberly Roetman (Iron Contributor)
Solution

It has been fixed. "Move" works for big files (over 600MB) and many items as before.

@LethalDosesame for us, i think sometime on Sunday evening or Monday morning seems that the patch finally saturated down to our tenant... All good now!  

@LethalDose 

Well - thank his noodley appendages.  At last.

As a small business with limited local drive space and bandwidth, this has been a nightmare.

@BrBarry
RE: "As you can see it very doable, just very resource and time-consuming. Apologies for the long-winded explanation. "
No apology needed, I very much appreciate you detailing all that out! I've already been following that method for a few months but you did a great job of documenting it.
'Tis a very ridiculous and convoluted process, one would think Microsoft could do better than this, but apparently not.
One aspect that you didn't highlight is that all this downloading/uploading is using whatever network your workstation computer is on, so in my case it hogs my home bandwidth unless I meter (in the ODFB Network settings) or more often than not, I open those up full and let the operations run overnight. Still counts against my ISP quota cap of course. :(

@Kimberly Roetman I was able to work around this by syncing my account with the OneDrive client but then adding the destination as a OneDrive shortcut which then shows up under My Files when I went to move from the source. Shortcuts show up with the link icon SharePoint File Move.PNG