SharePoint online backup tool which will cover all the scenarios

Steel Contributor

We manage many office 365 tenants and we are looking for a backup tool for SharePoint online, which support those main points:-

1. Backup and restore whole lists and libraries’ items OR single item/s, page/s and document/s which have the following features:-
    • Major and minor versioning.
    • Versions history.
    • Preserve their Metadata (created, modified, created by and modified by) after the restore.
    • Custom list views
    • Custom list forms. Such as  custom display, create and edit list forms
    • Custom page layouts. Such as custom page layouts inside enterprise wiki site collections.
    • Approval enabled (pending, rejected and approved).
    • Workflow 2013 which are linked to lists and libraries.
    • Backup and restore external users added to SharePoint groups or added to files.
    • Custom permissions for items, pages, documents and lists/libraries
    • Managed metadata columns which are linked to term sets
  2. Backup and restore managed metadata service. Including Groups, term sets and terms
  3. Backup and restore search service, including built-in and custom crawl properties and managed properties.
  4. Backup and restore single SharePoint groups, including their members, settings?
  5. Different Backup and Restore levels which still satisfy point-1:-
    • Item, page and document level
    • List or library level
    • Site level (root site or sub site)
    • Site collection level
  6. Ability to backup private SharePoint modern team sites, which by default cannot be accessed by office 365 admin.
  7. Backup and restore modern pages which have versioning enabled and which are linked to custom columns.
  8. When restoring a list or library to preserve its custom content type
  9. Backup and restore classic and modern site collections (team sites and communication sites).
  10. Backup and restore all the non-SharePoint components inside SharePoint modern team sites. Including the office 365 email address, calendar & conversations.
  11. Backup and restore Microsoft teams and office 365 groups, as those 2 components will have a SharePoint modern team site provisioned for them.
  12. The ability to restore the site collection on different url.

Finally are there any restriction or limitations we might face when backuping and restoring SharePoint components (mainly on item, page, document, list, library, root site, sub-site and site collection) or we can find a tool which will satisfy all the cases?

1 Reply

@john john 

Hi. I've investigated several backup solution. after evaluation I've tested Veam and avepoint.
Veeam for me was not sufficient as it has altered some metadata and was not possible to restore stuff from term set at time of evaluation. Term store and metadata were the keypoint for me. Here i will just mention the point for avepoint.

Point 1: yes it's capable with small remarks. During restoration, it restore the default view of sharepoint. So if you have modify the custom view, it didn't restore it correctly. Therefore, in my case, i create completely new view and delete the default one. No issue for my restauration. I didn't test the workflow 2013 as we prefer to get rid of it. Same for custom page layout with wiki.

Point 2: definitively, it's the only one that I found that was capable of doing it

Point 3: no clues, i'm using microsoft search service now and I don't know. I think

point 4: yes

Point 5: yes, just use the correct options in the restore (by default complete site)

Point 6: yes (need in fact to contain a member at least with a licence, which is usually the case if it's created by internal user)

Point 7: didn't test and didn't investigate

point 8: yes, I'm using custom content type

Point 9 yes

Point 10 and 11: yes, if you select the office 365 backup solution and configured it. Small note, if you want to backup the term store, it's not possible to backup the planner. It's one or the other.

Point 12. Yes. You will need to create a new site (can't create itself a new site). + some issue to activate site collection feature for new site. In my case, i create the new site, activate the site collection feature and then restore it to the new site.

I think you may face issue if the app store is a site dedicated one and not a central one. You will need to have the SSPKG somewhere else and restore it yourself.

i'm using this service without any other options. I request to have the backup in another datacenter than the one we think we are, which is possible https://www.avepoint.com/products/cloud/backup/microsoft-office-365-backup. Demo is also possible (skip randomly some item and only 5 types of items)