SharePoint Online Archiving Options?

Brass Contributor

Hey Folks - is anyone reducing the bloat of SharePoint Online sitesand cost of hosting in o365 by manually or automatically archiving sites or libraries to remote storage?

Looking around it looks like the DocAve Archiver has the right functionality needed to do this, but is this the best tool? and where would you dump your archives? into Azure? AWS or local storage?

Would love to get any feedback around this area!

5 Replies
Is archiving still a thing? I usually go with the policy if you need it for reference or whatever keep in the system, put in a archive folder maybe, you're paying for the Office 365 storage which is bountiful so why would you want to pay more to host it somewhere else. If you don't need it anymore delete it.

Sure maybe specific cases, but I see it as a on-premises consideration where storage needed to be managed and it was cheaper to get data onto tapes rather than disk.
If you mean to make backup there are some other alternatives to DocAve such as Metalogix or Barracuda...Metalogix allows you to make backups in the cloud or OnPremises...Barracuda backups de data in their own cloud so I see it provides what you need in a closer way

Uhm yes, archiving is still necessary especially when you have users storing documents in a library that exceed the 5000 threshold view limit.  Governance and policies enforced by company wide archiving policy.

Hi Richard - did you ever look at options for 0365/SPOL archiving? Did you choose an external product or stick with the archive options natively available in 0365? Would be interested to know what you chose (it's been 1.5 years since your post!) Thanks

@Richard Burdes Hi Richard, if you interested to archive really large lists with attachments and offload them from SharePoint Online to your local or online storage I would recommend to have a look at the www.listman.io service. It's a modern .NET app that uses CSOM and allows you to archive or export data from large lists without 5000 view limit. The app could be run by schedule and as a Windows Service and could be evaluated for free. Disclaimer: I'm an author of the tool and would be happy to answer any questions you might have.