SharePoint Online - 500 internal server error while creating communication or team sites

Brass Contributor

I am getting 500 internal server error while creating communication site or team site from https://<domain>.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/sharepoint.aspx link.

It is showing option to select team site or communication site initially, once i select the site type, then alert is displaying and saying that do you want to leave this page, if i click on Leave, then it is showing me 500 internal server error. If i click on stay, then site is not creating at all.

Do I need to request for special permissions from my admin?

7 Replies
No, you don't need it to request permissions if you see the link and you are allowed to create the site..it seems to be a problem in your tenant, so I would recommend to talk to your SPO Admin so he/she decides what to do here
Even SPO Admin also don't know what to do. Microsoft support team may help in this scenario by raising a support request?
I've had some people in our organization report this error after clicking the create site button. Where I was confused is that these were people who should not have seen the button because they did not have permission to create sites.

hi,

You do not have permissions to the Site Collection Administrators.

Capture.PNG

I got this error after we created a Security group to:  Manage who can create Office 365 Groups

Once the security group to the Site Collection Administrators of the root site collection as described by