SharePoint Online 2010 Approval Workflow error task email Outlook 2013

Copper Contributor

I am using SharePoint Online, and I enabled the Workflows in the Site Collection features which allows us to utilize the OOTB Approval Workflow which is a 2010 workflow template. Most of our users are on Office 2013 products. When the OOTB approval workflow email gets sent to them the 'Open this task' does not work and neither does the 'Review (document link)' option in the email. Users that have tried this have had Contribute permissions, Full Control, and Administrator permissions. I have tried this using Office 2016 products and there are no errors and I can approve the task just fine through Outlook and through Word. Are there compatiblity issues with SharePoint Online / 2010 Workflows / Office 2013?? 

2 Replies

I don't know for sure, but it sounds like you have answered you own question. Instead of spending time troubleshooting that scenario, i would recommend just creating new workflows using MS Flow

Thanks for the reply. I was just curious if anyone else has received the same issues with Office 2013 products and SPO. I created a workaround for now by creating a link to the task that will open it directly in the browser instead of in Outlook or Word. We are not using MS Flows at this time.