Sharepoint on-Premises CAL and office 365

Copper Contributor

I have licensing question... we already have existing users for Office 365 and we are going to deploy SharePoint on-prim, do these users require CAL?? 

Regards

Amal

13 Replies
No, if your users have a valid Office 365 license they don't need a CAL to access your SharePoint OnPrem...they can access thanks to the Office 365 license they have
Each Office365 user licence include one on-premise CAL for SharePoint Server. You then only need server licence for windows server, SharePoint Server, SQL server and eventually CALs for users without O365 licence.
Dear Juan
Thank you for ur response. But other people said that office 365 license is only for online versions and if they will access onprem sharepoint they will need CAl bridge suite which can link between online and on prem
Dear Djavan
Thank you for your reply. Plz see my reply to Juan and please comment
Dear Djavan,

Thank u.. but will they need windows server CAL?? Or its also included in office 365???
Dear Juan,

Thank u,,, but will they need windows server CAL or its also included in office 365???
I believe you will need to buy the Windows CALs

Is there an offical MS Link where this Information is located!?

What the above replies seem to be missing is that you get on-premises access with the Office 365 Enterprise (E1/E3/E5) licenses , but none of the Business SKU's nor Enterprise F1.

See the Access to equivalent on-premises server workloads (Exchange Server, SharePoint Server, Skype for Business Server) row in the table on page 3 of the Office 365 Licensing Brief.

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

My IT manager wants to deploy on premise sharepoint for company users (company policy does not allow cloud solution for file storage/sharing).

We plan to buy Office 365 E3 licences (CSP scheme).

Licence wise are fully covered by Office 365 licences or do we need extra sharepoint server licences???

If we do, are there Office 365 "flavours" which include sharepoint full licencing (user and server) ??

Thank you Juan Carlos!!

@am_ yaqoub This is covered in Product Use Rights document for Office 365, under Appendix A - CAL/ML Equivalent Licenses. Hard place to look from, but contains final info.

Office 365 Enterprise licenses offer CAL equivalents; they satisfy the license requirement to access base or additive functions based on SKU.

Office 365 E1 covers SharePoint base CAL requirement.

Office 365 E3, E5 and Microsoft 365 E3 and E5 cover base and additive CAL equivalents. SharePoint Server Enterprise CAL is an additive CAL, so that use should be covered under Office 365 E3.

CAL table.PNG

@Djavan ROA 

what about SQL CAL licenses? 

@Igor_BInder licening mechanics for SharePoint Server and SQL Server is distinct. 

Office 365 licence only includes equivalent CALs for the SharePoint Server part, you will need to purchase proper licencing for SQL Server. You can either go for CAL model or per Core, depending on the number of users you have the per Core can be a cheaper option.