SharePoint News Digest - Some Images/thumbnails not showing up

Copper Contributor

We are using the News Digest feature since a while. Unfortunately the image/thumbnail for some of the news selected are not showing up in the News Digest being send to the recipients. There is no differnece in the type of news we are sending. We are all using the Image & Title layout option.

Any ideas on the root cause?

8 Replies
Check the source of the images - if someone has attached an image from their OneDrive, it will not show up to users without the appropriate access permissions. Also, double check the quality of the image to make sure the thumbnail works in the News web part. Most of the time when images are not working in roll ups or digests it is due to permissions or quality issues.

Thx @Susan Hanley - For sure the pictures are not from OneDrive. I will check the quality.

In the Intranet the pictures are shown properly. It is just an issue in the email generated through the News Digest feature in SharePoint Online.

This just happened to me as well, with images that I got from the web search. I sent out a test and everything was fine. I sent a second test, and 2 out of the 5 images did not show up in the News Digest.

Hi @Stefan_at_kyndryl 

Did you ever find a resolution to this? 

In testing it was fine, we just sent the digest to the whole business and all but one image vanished. Really frustrating.

Hi @VinnieLendscape - it´seems it is really depending on the quality (size) of the picture being used for the tumbnail. Somebody from Microasoft told me, it needs to be high quality and it seems to be true, when I check my newsletters.

Hope this helps.

That is crazy, I would have assumed it was the other way around (high quality images do not send). I dont suppose they gave any indication on what spec is considered high quality?

@VinnieLendscape Unfortunately not

"Check the source of the images - if someone has attached an image from their OneDrive, it will not show up to users without the appropriate access permissions. Also, double check the quality of the image to make sure the thumbnail works in the News web part. Most of the time when images are not working in roll ups or digests it is due to permissions or quality issues."

Encountering this issue also, despite all our images coming from Microsoft's Stock Images bank in SharePoint. If its not reliably going to populate the imagery into the digest, what's the point?