SharePoint Newbie question

Copper Contributor

Hello, 

I hope this is the correct forum for this question, if not, apologies. 

I work for a small Aerospace supply company that  uses paper folders for each and every order we receive. The folders start with a customer PO (PDF)  which is printed out  and placed into a manila folder with a generated reference number. This folder is then physically passed on to multiple team members who then print and add more and more documents to the folder and so on. The folders reach at least 4-5 people and are very bloated and cumbersome by the time the order is ready to be shipped. I would like to digitalize this process and was thinking that maybe SharePoint can simplify our woes.

Right now, I was looking at setting up a SharePoint Teams site for each department and having them mimic the physical folder process digitally. Not quite sure how to go about implementing this as I hear creating folders within folders is not a good idea in SharePoint. I would like to keep some semblance of the current process with the physical folders in my SharePoint implementation but wasn't sure the best way to go about this? Right now, I'm thinking of creating a document set template and having these sets travel with notifications to each party in the sales process through document libraries?

If anyone could give any insight this would be a great help. Appreciate the feedback, thanks!!! 

2 Replies
Hello, where does the documents end up in the end ? After that it has passed 4-5 coworkers and is finalized?

Hi @gilrocksHR,

Maybe you could use Power Automate to automate this process?

You put a word file in a certain documents library (the original document) - than through a flow the first team gets a notification that a document mus be approved. They can put a comment in that proces and this answer is getting put to one of the columns for this document in that library. The same proces can go on for the next teams. Once all the columns has been filled in you can generate a document with the use of quick parts (so the answers from the colums get put in the designed places in the document).

Hope this helps, although it might take some time to build it.