SharePoint Modern Vertical Column on Small Screens

Copper Contributor

Hi there!

As part of a SharePoint Online Modern intranet, we have a home site and are using the new vertical column as part of the layout. The issue is that for the majority of users the vertical column is pushed to the bottom of the page, due to the responsive resizing. The majority of the users have their default display scaling set to 150%. This on smaller screens results in this behavior where the vertical column is moved.

Through some investigating I've found that the breakpoint for this behavior is at a window width of around 1365px. I understand the need for this but I was wondering if there are:

1) Any workarounds to avoid this behavior for our users

2) Best practices for helping users deal with the issue.

3) Any plans to adjust the responsive design for the vertical column.

5 Replies

@StephenBradley  I'm interested in solutions as well. On common monitors here at work - resolution 1280 x 1024, browsers at 100% push the vertical column to the bottom. This just started happening a month ago - before, as I started using verticals, it displayed fine.

Now I have to use 90% zoom to get the correct display, and if this continues when we go live with our new intranet that's how I'm going to have to train on it.

And this is over all the Edges and Chrome as well. Something changed in the SharePoint page formatting or Win10 display formatting - there's either extra padding or margins or something. Fonts and sizes haven't changed.

It's really annoying. 

@Robin Nilsson Same exact settings and problem here. Would love to use vertical column but I cannot tell all employees to switch to 90% zoom for their browsers. :( Would love this to be fixed!

Same problem here! Would love to have this fixed so we don't have to train all staff to use 90% zoom only when using SharePoint

Same, 1356px is too large for a sidebar to collapse. The expected behavior would be for both columns to shrink in size first before stacking.

@StephenBradley 

I was dealing with the same situation. The sharepoint modern sites are a bit strict on what you can do. I managed to not need the 90 % zoom by injecting javascript. I'll share the steps how I've found a solution:

My.png

•  In the end I got it to work copying the style of this DIV, and the two below (in my case it's a normal section and a colunm section) when the screen is okay, and setting it up when the screen is small. In the javascript I put:
if (window.screen.width < 1365){
	document.querySelector("#spPageCanvasContent > div > div > div > div").style.cssText = "-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;display: flex;margin: 0 auto;max-width: 1648px;user-select: text;color: rgb(0, 0, 0);font-weight: 400;font-size: 14px;-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;"

document.querySelector("#spPageCanvasContent > div > div > div > div > div.g_b_50a7110f").style.cssText = " -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; font-size: 14px; font-weight: 400; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); user-select: text; width: 75%;"

document.querySelector("#spPageCanvasContent > div > div > div > div > div.h_b_50a7110f").style.cssText = " -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; font-size: 14px; font-weight: 400; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); user-select: text; width: 25%;"

}

I think all those styles are not necessary, only the ones related to size.