SharePoint Modern List - Open New Item from a Modern Page

Iron Contributor

Hi There, 

I am trying to figure out how to get users to add a new list item (Modern Experience/Sliding Panel) from a link on a Modern Page. 

I am looking for the same experience that a user would have if they were actually viewing the list. I know there must be a way to do this, I just have no idea!

Thanks!

14 Replies
So you can't particularly make the new item fly out of the right side of the screen, however you can give them modern UI form to fill out from a link.

Just go to the list where you want the form from. Click on New. then when it slides out from the right side Along the top you will see a copy link button. Click that and use that link, and it'll get you to the new modern form, just won't be along the side like it does from the list itself.
Hi, when I click on "New", there isnt a panel that slides out on the right, instead clicking new redirects me immediately to another page. Is there a way to get that panel on the right back?

Thanks @Deleted That worked well, only problem I had was getting the user to go back to where they originated. So for example, I have general feedback link on all pages. Once a person leaves feedback they shouldn't go to the list, they should return/stay on the page they were on. 

I can change the ?source value in the URL, just don't know how to get them back to the page they originated on. 

@Noel Lee You would go into ...

List Settings > Advanced Settings > Open Forms in Dialogs (Yes)

That should help you out :)

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick response. I've already tried that but it still keeps bringing me to the classical sharepoint view from the modern sharepoint view after i click "new item". THe modern sharepoint view just pops up the panel on the right.

Noel,

are you setup with targeted release for your tenant? if so I think Microsoft broke some stuff last night.

In the past when you click on the New item in the List view web part you would get the powerapps dialogue box showing up. Over night that no longer works now it is going to the classic new item form. (this is the reason I am here today :( ) Even worse we are doing our go live event today and all the nice pretty forms that I created are now working on the nice pages that I setup.

Hi Bernard,

O No. Hope your event goes well though. But yes, that's exactly what happened to me. Was doing a live demo today and was surprised that the dialogues box suddenly didnt work.

Just so you know the PowerApp custom form DOES work if you go to the list and then choose new item. So that could be a work around for you right now.

My tenant is NOT targeted release only for selected users and I am experiencing this issue as well. I've had several users reporting all their lists are opening the new & edit dialogues in classic view. It seems custom PowerApp forms work in modern still but the default form is gone.

@Mike Dumka 

You can double click on New button for opening full screen from 

Same applies for edit button as well

@Mike Dumka I had the same requirement and did a work around using the "Embed" modern web part. This way, I kept the existing experience from the form list. The only catch with that is your new item form will load inside the Embed web part, so you have to work with the space in the page to display properly. 

I hope that will help you.

-Wagner

@Mike Dumka I too tried the same, but its not working.

@Mike Dumka

@Mike Dumka wrote:

"only problem I had was getting the user to go back to where they originated. So for example, I have general feedback link on all pages. Once a person leaves feedback they shouldn't go to the list, they should return/stay on the page they were on. 

I can change the ?source value in the URL, just don't know how to get them back to the page they originated on."

I believe the easiest way is to edit the URL of your general feedback links.

Example URL of a "leave feedback button":

https://yoursite.sharepoint.com/sites/MainSite/Lists/ListName/NewForm.aspx?Source=https%3a//yoursite.sharepoint.com/sites/MainSite&RootFolder=/sites/MainSite/Lists/ListName

Locate the source string and swap out "MainSite" with where you want to redirect the users. This will of course have to be done seperately for each feedback link/button you have on your site.

Is it possible to populate fields in the new item Form with predefined values? For example add the name of an application in the Title field?