SOLVED

SharePoint Modern List Export to Excel Not Available in Chrome

Steel Contributor

Hi, all! I became aware of a 7-month-old known issue in SharePoint modern lists regarding exporting to Excel (issue acknowledged in the comments here). The option's available in IE but not Chrome. Is there any news on how close this issue is to resolution?

11 Replies
This feature relies on an Active X control so that's the reason why you don't have in Google Chrome, Edge and FireFox

Hrm... wonder how that'll work when Microsoft eventually retire IE11 and all we have is Edge?

Yeap, wondering the same...

I have a feeling that will be a long time down the road.  IE11 and Microsoft Edge do not have feature parity, although I will admit Edge is much faster and more compatible with modern sites. 

The «open in explorer» from the document library is also missing. We use that a lot.

:) Open with explorer has never been present in SPO in Google Chrome, FireFox or Edge...only IE...again, another feature that needs a replacement so it can work on any browser of your choice

My main concern isn't that exporting to Excel feature isn't usable in Chrome, it's that the feature isn't even visible in Chrome when in the Modern list view.

I'd rather the button be there and broken than the button not be there at all; otherwise, someone using Chrome might think that exporting to Excel is an option to them if they've never seen anything but Modern lists.

I guess I have the same question phrased in a different way for everyone to comment on.

How do we best provide an export to Excel of Search results regardless of the browser. 

Do we need to start in Excel, use a different application interface? 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. 

Export to Excel button now appears in Chrome in our tenant (first release) and seems to work just as it does with Edge. Glad to see this.

Unfortunately it doesn't work on lists over 5000 items, at least in some cases. We have various views that filter down to less than 5000 items, but Excel shows an error about the list view threshold regardless.

best response confirmed by Matt Coats (Steel Contributor)
Solution

My tenant is not first release, and I just noticed that the Export to Excel button is visible in Modern Lists for us. I've not checked the 5,000 item limit, but as far as I'm concerned, this issue is pretty much closed on my end.

and is not compatible Mac users (but still showing)....

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Matt Coats (Steel Contributor)
Solution

My tenant is not first release, and I just noticed that the Export to Excel button is visible in Modern Lists for us. I've not checked the 5,000 item limit, but as far as I'm concerned, this issue is pretty much closed on my end.

View solution in original post