SharePoint Migration Tool - PACK FAILURE","Packaging Failure:Unauthorized access to source file

Iron Contributor

Hello

I am using VM to migrate File Share Data to SharePoint Online using SharePoint Migration tool(Version 2.1.103.11). I am accessing file server as mapped network drive (can see the files and folder using windows explorer). During the migration I selected Permission to migrate. Total size of the FIle Share Content is 140 MB and total files are 6662 items. After completion nothing is  migrated, when I see itemfailure.csv I saw all the files has "PACK FAILURE","Packaging Failure:Unauthorized access to source file" error.

Any idea what should be the issue and how to resolve it.

Regards

Avia

17 Replies
Hello! Pls Go to sharegate to get advice and further tools, they got a whitepaper for free also. Greets, Eva

I have to migrate only 2 TB contents, do not think I should buy any third party tool

In Addition to my earlier post, I  found another issue during Scan i.e."Scan File Failure:The item created time or modified time is not supported" for approx 19 files. 

When I checked the modified data and created date in Windows Explorer, I noticed that Created Date is empty. I am not able to understand how come this is possible that Created Date is empty. All the files are DOC/DOCX/XLSX files. 

It seems Migration tool dont allow to migrate.

Please let me know how to migrate this files or is there any way to update create date with modify date value using powershell script?

I am still not able to found any solution on my original post.

Please help

Regards

Avian

Hello @Avian 1 ! Can you try to move 2 or 3 test files by drag & drop into a document library in your sharepoint? There has to be a doc lib to store it. "Created time" in your package must be named as Created and modified time as got to be named as Modified.

Hi Eva,

Thanks for reply on empty CreatedDate. I already tried it and noticed that if I will drag and drop then I will lose other metadata like CreatedBy, Modified By. 

Secondly I want to migrate it thru SPMT, because these files are in different folders with different level kind of user machine. So if I do drag and drop manually, folder and file permission will not be migrate.

Regards

Avian

Using PowerShell code as mentioned below, I am able to update creation date with modified date value using following code, it seems to be working. However I am still trying to understand to my original post and not able to resolve it.

Import-Csv -Path 'C:\Users\usernae\Downloads\changecreationtime.csv' |
ForEach-Object { (Get-Item $_.filename)| % {$_.CreationTime = $_.LastWriteTime}}

Avia

Hello Avia!

That sounds great although I am not familiar with powershell. For different permission levels you have to use the different groups on top level site to first selecting each person into e.g. the siteowners. This default group has a level called „full access“. Then people into the group called „members“, who should „contribute“, and finally people as normally User permission called „User“ which should have the ability to only view and / or download files.

All These permissions on top level site will be inherited in all subsides then. Go to your top level site page. You'll find the groups in top level site on the gear on top Right- then click „site settings“.

After you selected the right users in your groups, you can go to each doc lib or list app in those lib or list settings (also on the gear!) to decide which group has which permissions.

IMPORTANT: Don’t do single permissions for each list item or each document pls.!!! This confuses you after a while!!Take groups or create your own groups for a list or lib. This is the trick!

Pls see the Tutorials in YouTube about groups and permission levels in SharePoint! It’s worth it! Example: the vids of Kalmstrom.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmZrWjl-mfA

Greets, Eva

Manage SharePoint Permissions more efficiently by creating user groups: http://www.kalmstrom.com/Tips/SharePoint-Online-Course/SharePoint-Permissions.htm

Hi again! There's also a good vid of changing the default permission groups and creating own groups.

edit permission levels in a group.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFA98Zwlf_8

✅ Get FOUR FREE Courses from Simon Sez IT ➡️ https://www.simonsezit.com/four-free-courses Get the full 10-hour course on Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2013 here: https://www.simonsezit.com/courses/microsoft/learn-sharepoint-foundation-2013-training/ In this Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2013 ...

Hi Eva

Thanks for sharing the information. I will go thru this. I am still trying to figure out the original problem which I mentioned in initial post.

If you got any solution on this please let me know.

Thanks

Avian

Hello @Avian 1 !

Regarding your first post on the access issue I wonder if this yet is solved or not:

"Packaging Failure:Unauthorized access to source file" ?

Did you check your access permissions to your file server as i suppose?

Is there any admin on your side to check this back?

Greets, Eva.

Hi Eva

I am working with infra team. Initial investigation says we have folder level permission, but dont have item level permission. Because If I copy file manually I am getting error "You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file"

I will keep you update on this.

Thanks

Avian

Hey there! Folder level permission means you are only a“Member“ and have only the ability to „contribute. Ask your infra team to give a training on SharePoint. Or ask your siteowner (next level of your current permissions) and then your website collection admin and then your SP admin. SP isn’t only another file share, it must be taught to users. Greets, Eva

Hi Eva,

When I said Folder Level Permission or Item level Permission means these kind of permission on File Server not on SharePoint.

I already learned about the SharePoint Permission by your shared URL.

Avian

Hi Eva,

It was  item level permission issue of File Server. When infra team assigned item level permission to all the files we are able to migrate files without any issue.

However I am wondering about tool performance.  When we migrate 11 GB contents (9000 files approx), it took almost 23 hrs to finish the migration. Approx 480 MB per hour.

FYI, I am doing migrate with "Migrate Permission" option, hope this is not slowing performance.

We have 10 MBPS dedicated internet connection on dedicated VM (windows 2012 R2), but still performance is very poor. We are not running any other applications on this server and no other user logged remotely.

I will also try that instead of migrate whole folder (Level 1), I will try to migrate level 2 folder using CSV.  In csv I will add multiple entry for level 2 folders. Hoping this helps.

I also tried PowerShell HSM command let, but almost got same performance.

Any advise to improve the migration speed.

Regards

Avian

Hi Avian, I remember of a story months ago that amazon had trucks of stored files because uploading/migrating is slower than transporting the big data IRL. Sounds funny but even in Germany with 5G transfer rates it’s sometimes annoying. ask your provider if they have an idea for widen up your transfer rate. Greets, Eva

I am having exact permission error here.

Let me reach out to my infrastructure team to confirm my item level permission on the folders.  Hope this helps me as well.

Thanks. 

Hamedo

@Avian 1 

Hello @Avian 1  and @Hamedo247 import widget with PST.bmp,

Few Minutes ago i stumbled upon a widget in the new MS 365 Sec & Compliance Center (partly in Preview now). To try this out, pls. check your Exchange online Role for  "Mailimport/export".

This tool seems to handle Migration of WHOLE file share data drives and other file issues, when the original metadata are corrupted. I think now, that your migration issues are originally a redundant or inconsistent metadata problem. Mostly the failured migrations deal with inconstistent version history of files and in doubt the AI must decide whether it lets your data in or not and because of that error you ´ll get empty metadata on "Created" or "Modified", even no files at all. The standard in SharePoint is that on Uploading a file SharePoint writes only the uploaded Date, not the originally created Date. So in good case your uploaded files get the "Created" Date as the Upload Date. Precondition is always, that you are the owner of  that document / file to upload a file. And your Users have to have a unique account, establishedin the Azure Active Directory of your O365 Tenant.

I didn´t test it yet, but you can answer here if it works.

And I found more Infos in this link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/compliance/importing-pst-files-to-office-365?view=o36...
There is a new way to import "old" files via PST into O365. Hope that helps additionally. Yours, Eva.