SOLVED

[SharePoint migration] Copy site contents with file version history to top level site

Copper Contributor

Hello community,

I used ShareGate Desktop to migrate a SP 2010 site collection, especially featuring some libraries' document version history, to SharePoint Online. But I made a mistake. The migrated content is located under <xxx.sharepoint.com/pmo/pmo> and not <xxx.sharepoint.com/pmo/>.

The latter site collection already exists. What is the best way to get the site contens including the versions' history from a website to the top level site?
Afaik will the restructure function in ShareGate not do the trick.?

Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance

3 Replies

Hi @JJBru ,

Done this before myself, usually if I notice quickly I would just delete the subsite and do the migration again. If this is not a possibility then you can copy everything from that subsite to the higher level site. I have not used the restructure functionality yet so don't know if that will work within the same site collection.

T@Andrew Hodges 

Thank you for your answer. But what is the best way to copy all SharePoint contents, including document version history from libraries, from a web site to a top level (site collection) site?

The site content and structure feature, supposedly accessible when activating the publishing features, is not available for me on the concerning and another site collection of SharePoint Online.

best response confirmed by JJBru (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @JJBru ,

I have never had to activate any features to get the Site Content and Structure copy to work, but then again they could have already been on. 

If you can, I would recommend just migrating again. 

If not then you could copy each individual library but if there are subsites that's going to get tricky. You could use the promote subsite feature to create a new site collection called PMO2. Delete the old including out of the recycle bin and then change the URL of the PMO2 site to PMO.  I haven't tried this myself yet so word of caution but it should work. 

https://www.sharepointdiary.com/2019/09/sharepoint-online-change-site-collection-url-using-powershel... 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JJBru (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @JJBru ,

I have never had to activate any features to get the Site Content and Structure copy to work, but then again they could have already been on. 

If you can, I would recommend just migrating again. 

If not then you could copy each individual library but if there are subsites that's going to get tricky. You could use the promote subsite feature to create a new site collection called PMO2. Delete the old including out of the recycle bin and then change the URL of the PMO2 site to PMO.  I haven't tried this myself yet so word of caution but it should work. 

https://www.sharepointdiary.com/2019/09/sharepoint-online-change-site-collection-url-using-powershel... 

View solution in original post