SharePoint Lookup Column Links Open up Record in Classic View everything else is Modern

Brass Contributor

When clicking on the items in the lookup columns it is opening up the record in classic view.  Is this normal? Everythign else is in modern view.

9 Replies

@VeeExcelLearn The list you are referring in lookup column settings (parent list) is set to modern (new) experience?

When you try to open a list item directly from lookup parent list view, is it opening item in modern experience or classic experience?

Sometimes classic forms will open when you are using classic columns in SharePoint lists (like location or classic approval columns).

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

This is for Laura in the second list.

@ganeshsanap 

VeeExcelLearn_0-1660819221017.png

This is how she looks in the first list.

VeeExcelLearn_1-1660819377050.png

Is it maybe because I have notifications turned on?

VeeExcelLearn_2-1660819428100.png

This is how these come into my email:

VeeExcelLearn_4-1660819750938.png

@VeeExcelLearn The first image in your above response is in classic experience and not in modern experience.

Where do you click on the lookup value? from second image (list form of first list), right? 

As your second list is in classic experience, it is expected behavior that when you click on lookup column in first list, it will open list form for second list in classic experience.

I don't think it is related to alerts settings. SharePoint default alerts always comes like this only.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap My sincere apologizes, I have made that confusing.  The first list is actually in modern.  The first image was me clicking on the Updates column where Laura exists.  It brings it up in the classic experience but this list is in Modern.

VeeExcelLearn_0-1660821525010.png

@VeeExcelLearn The "Updates" column display is SharePoint default or did you customize it using JSON formatting? 

If customized using JSON formatting, can you show us the JSON you used for this column?

VeeExcelLearn_0-1660826546128.png

@ganeshsanap I think default. It used to have some JSON code in there but I removed it.  I removed it because the lookup column for some reason eliminate linking.  For some reason when I tried to click on the name in the update column it did not allow me to open up the form.  I deleted everything in that column and then the linking reappeard.  I could then click on the name and it would take me to the form control.

@ganeshsanap I even tried recreating the Provider Name column, dropped a couple of names.  Created the lookup to this new column and it still wants to open it up in classic view.  I thought it was formatting but I cannot figure it out.  Is there a way to force it?

@VeeExcelLearn This is a strange behavior.

Just trying to understand more here: When you go to second (parent) list and open list item of Laura directly from that list (not from child list where you added lookup column), is it opening list form in modern experience or classic experience?

@ganeshsanap This is the parent. This form does have JSON to make it look this way but I got it from the Microsoft website.  I am sure this is widely copied to a lot of SharePoint sites.

VeeExcelLearn_1-1660905216497.png