Sharepoint list showing hashtag # marks in filters

Copper Contributor

Hello, all...

After having established an extensive Sharepoint list to track some ongoing work, we've suddenly seen our main filters in some columns being replaced with non-functional filters like those shown below.

JonathanPerkins_0-1637631621640.png

When I look at the filters using the main filters pane, I see both the intended filters and those with the apparent "spam" hashtags, which are non-functional:

JonathanPerkins_1-1637631799018.png

Anyone know what is causing the "spam" tags? I tried creating a clean set of tags in a brand new column (not copied, all manually entered) and the "spam" still showed up.

As importantly as what/why is causing them, is there any way to remove them?

Many thanks!

27 Replies

@JonathanPerkins This is now happening to us too.  Microsoft is this a bug that will be fixed?  Causing major problems

We are also seeing not only non functional filters, but filters with the same hashtag appearance, for every search that is performed. Clearning the cache works but is impractical for the amount of use this list receives. How does something get flagged with Microsoft for attention?
This is happening to us as well.. Cleared Cache and cookies and less than an hour later the hashtags are back.
Did everyone who is experiencing this happen to import your list from a CSV? If you created the list from scratch do you think it would still do this? I assume the Spreadsheets have some hidden characters that are showing through.

@nsherman1200 I think ours were created from scratch

@Suzi2 Our list was originally created from a CSV file, but the issue with the hashtags only occurred a month or so after we had the list in use -- roughly November 10/11 timeframe if that helps anyone narrow it down.

I'm having the same problem. Same thing-if I clear the cache, it usually goes away, but comes back pretty quickly, especially if I am editing anything in the list.
We created from scratch. Happens when we have multiple choices. Exporting the list to Excel also exports the #; symbols. Our workaround has been to link the list to a PowerBI and use tables and visuals to filter down to what we need.
Are we all using Google Chrome?

I am in communication with a MS support person and they think because the issue is not happening for my users in Edge and only in Chrome that it is a browser issue....

@nsherman1200 I have been using Edge, not Chrome.

Good to know.. They advised me to uninstall and reinstall my browser.. we will see if that helps..
I think I found a workaround. Instead of a Choice field I created the choices as a list and changed the columns to a multiselect lookup. So far so good
Still no resolution? How does something like this actually get flagged with Microsoft?
I have a case opened with them. They are sending me all these different tests to do.. Like a step tracer and network monitor. Will update when I get more information from them.
Thanks so much!
Any updates on this?
That worked! Thank you!
Getting the same issue too. But when testing on 2 machines, it works fine on one but not the other. We first noticed it on a list that was imported from Excel. But when I created a list from scratch, it was still happening on fields that allow multiple selection. But it displays fine on one of my machines, but one of the users reported it. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.... so many issues with lists lately