SOLVED

SharePoint List Settings view vs Grid view

Copper Contributor

I am not sure if it's called grid view when you just click on a SharePoint list, but regardless... I accidentally deleted 2 fields in a SharePoint List thinking I was in one list when I was in another. I added the 2 fields back by going into Settings for the List, but when I added the 2 fields and went out of the Settings view, I went into the grid view, the fields are not there. If I go back to Settings, they are still there. Why is this happening? Is there a way to get the 2 synced up?

Also, is there a way to lock a SharePoint List so that you cannot make any changes without unlocking it? I sometimes put 2 lists next to each other to setup multiple lists the same, so it's easier to copy or compare, but getting distracted, it's easy to forget which list is which.

6 Replies

@BamaDog27 in grid view click the dropdown next to one of the column headers, select Column settings then Show/Hide columns and tick the checkbox next to each of the new columns.

No, you can't lock a list.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@RobElliott, I selected the 2 new fields, clicked Apply, but they don't show up. I go back in to "Show/Hide columns and they still show unchecked.
best response confirmed by BamaDog27 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@BamaDog27 then go to list settings and select the view and select the columns there to show in the view. I have noticed the same behaviour today as you experienced so I assume Microsoft have made some changes which haven't really worked.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

Ok, I think I figured out why they will not display. They are required fields and I have rows of data, so maybe it doesn't allow you to add required fields into a view until they have data? I will change them to not required, add data, and then see if I can add them to the view.

If I delete fields, is there a way to undelete them and recover the data that was in them?

@BamaDog27 "maybe it doesn't allow you to add required fields into a view until they have data". No that is not correct, whether or not a column is required has no impact on whether it is shown in a view. You just won't be able to save an item with a column that is required if that column doesn't have data.

If a column is deleted there is no way to recover the data that was in the rows in that column.

Rob
Los Gallardos

@RobElliottThanks so much for your help. The only thing that helped was, in the grid view, click on the "All Items" dropdown and select "Edit current view" and select the fields and their order. Now it shows them in the list. I really appreciate your help!!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by BamaDog27 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@BamaDog27 then go to list settings and select the view and select the columns there to show in the view. I have noticed the same behaviour today as you experienced so I assume Microsoft have made some changes which haven't really worked.

Rob
Los Gallardos

View solution in original post